• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Estimated ABV Field

Cervantes

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know that the reason given for there being no "Estimated ABV" field on the design tab is that it's already there on the slider.

Buy my question is.............

Does the estimate next to the slider use the information from the recipe or does it use the actual results that you enter in the "Measured OG" field in the fermentation tab?

It would be nice to know what you can expect the final ABV to based on the actual measured OG if you happen to miss the recipe's intended OG.

I know that I can do the math myself, but it would be nice if Beersmith did it for you.

Cheers
Andy

In the Recipe design tab, you can click "select fields" and choose both estimated and actual alcohol. These same fields already exist in the Fermentation tab.

BeerSmith estimates are based on the numbers you give it. Until you choose a yeast, you'll get nominal number for FG and ABV. With a selected yeast, you may see a different number based on the specs, freshness and pitch size. You can also see the ABV estimate on the fermentation page.

The best method is to look at the Measured Efficiency number once you've brewed and input that into your equipment profile. BeerSmith will then have the real OG and apply that to its' assumptions about your yeast.

brewfun said:
In the Recipe design tab, you can click "select fields" and choose both estimated and actual alcohol. These same fields already exist in the Fermentation tab.

BeerSmith estimates are based on the numbers you give it. Until you choose a yeast, you'll get nominal number for FG and ABV. With a selected yeast, you may see a different number based on the specs, freshness and pitch size. You can also see the ABV estimate on the fermentation page.

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm still a little confused.

I don't get an option to choose Estimated ABV from the "select fields" option. Only estimated ABW. Is this just me?

If I change my measured OG on the fermentation page it doesn't change the Estimated ABV, so I'm guessing that the Estimated ABV is based on the recipe rather than the actual "Measured OG" that I enter.

Would this be a correct assumption?

Thanks
Andy

Cervantes said:
I don't get an option to choose Estimated ABV from the "select fields" option. Only estimated ABW. Is this just me?

Well, Sonuvagun! I was mistaken. ABV is not a choice.

If I change my measured OG on the fermentation page it doesn't change the Estimated ABV, so I'm guessing that the Estimated ABV is based on the recipe rather than the actual "Measured OG" that I enter.

That is correct, but not beyond your control.

Your measured batch size and measured OG will calculate your Measured Efficiency number. If this number is off by more than a few tenths from the Tot Efficiency number right above it, you'll need to copy the Measured number to the Tot Efficiency field in the design tab. This will recalculate your recipe OG estimate and it should match your actual results. Your estimated Alc % should then be reasonably close.

That works. If I tweak the Total Efficiency % until I get the estimated OG to match my actual OG it then recalculates the estimated ABV.

Many thanks.
Andy

Back