• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pre-Boil Gravity and Extract Late Method

tankers

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am currently trying to create a recipe using partial mash and the extract late option for adding my extract.  I would like to target my pre-boil gravity to a certain point for color and hop approximations.  I have noticed that pre-boil gravity on the brewsheet does not change if I check the box in my extract addition that says "add after boil."  If I am understanding things correctly (which may in itself be a bad assumption), the pre-boil gravity should be different for extract added to the boil vs extract added after the boil.  Is this correct?  If so, how can I get it reflected in my brewsheet? 

Also, is there any way to get pre-boil gravity to display in recipe view.  It would be nice to not have to open the brewsheet every time I want to check it.

The truth is that the existing version does not handle late extract additions very well.  This is something I'm working on for the next version.  It is not a trivial problem due to the variable effects on bitterness of the late extract addition.

The pre-boil OG does show up on the brewsheet I believe, but is not part of the main display templates yet.  I just added a line to the next version to fix this with the next release as well.

Cheers!
Brad Smith
beersmith.com

I don.t know why you would need to know what your preboil gravity when doing an  extract, unless you want to get a more true IBU caculation

Back