• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help Me Understand the Concept

blackcows

Brewer
Reaction score
I am really loving Beersmith but there is one concept that I am having trouble with and that is the concept of what effect changes to ingredients have.  Under "Views" I have my master lists or Hops, Grains and Extracts, etc.  I also have "My Recipies" and 2 subfolders, one of which contains my recipies and one of which contains my brewlogs.  Any recipie I have ever brewed starts in my recipies and then I do a "copy to brewlog".  I am getting ready to brew an IPA.  The Norther Brewer Hops show an alpha value of 6.4% on the package but the standard value in Beersmith shows 8.5%.  If I double click the NB hops entry in the recipie view will that only change the value for that specific entry (or recipie I am currently working on)?  My ultimate question is if there are any changes I could make to an ingredient that would have a global effect or once a recipie is put togeather does that just copy current information and any changes made within the recipie only affect the current recipie and any changes made to ingredients only effect future entries? 

Mike

Mike,
  Each recipe basically makes a complete copy of its ingredients.  This was done for a lot of good reasons, like the ability to export recipes to someone who does not have the same ingredients database.  Also it is very useful when you want to set batch specific parameters such as hop alpha.

You can set the hop alpha for a given batch by editing the hops within the recipe (Northern Brewer in your example).  There is no global way to change the ingredients in all recipes, though one could do a search by ingredient to identify all of the recipes and edit them that way if you really needed to.  Changes made to the other Views only affect future recipes.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks Brad that helps.  What happens if, in the ingredient view, I make a change to an ingredient, then I delete that ingredient from a current recipie and then add it again to the same recipie.  Will it reflect the changes?

Mike

blackcows said:
What happens if, in the ingredient view, I make a change to an ingredient, then I delete that ingredient from a current recipie and then add it again to the same recipie.  Will it reflect the changes?

Mike,
  Yes, if you delete the ingredient and then add it back in it will pull a fresh copy from the ingredient database, so it will reflect whatever is in your ingredient databases at the time you add it.

Cheers!
Brad

Back