• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

advice for adding yeast at bottling time

all grain

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Ok I have a porter that is above 7% and I used 04 yeast. in my experience the 04 dose not bottle condition well for me on strong beers, so I plan to add yeast to it, but never did this before. I have some dry 33 yeast and I would like to use  at bottle time. any suggestions / methods in this would be helpful to me. thanks.   

there is no reason s04 wouldn't carb up a 7% beer just fine. it's just not that strong. However, if you want to I usually just sprinkle half a packet of dry yeast in the bottling bucket with the priming sugar syrup and rack on top of it. doesn't really matter what strain you use.

What temp do you bottle condition at? stronger beers take longer and keeping the beer at or around 75*f for the initial conditioning period can really speed things up with no flavor impact.

04 is the only yeast that i've  had problems with, and it may have just been a fluke. could be something i'm doing too that is pacific to my ways. I'll just sprinkle some 33 dry to the b bucket.

Back