• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Weird program behavior - plethora of bsmx files

fourdegrees

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi Brad,

I'm running the latest version of your program (I really like the updated navigation btw) on Windows 8.1 and I found a really strange behavior. Whenever I open the program and close it again (regardless of whether I've made any changes to anything), BeerSmith is creating new copies of every .bsmx file with an incremented filename in the /Users/xxxxx/Documents/BeerSmith2 directory. I see that what you are doing is basically creating backups of every file each time the program is used by making a new whatever.bsmx file then incrementing all the previous ones to whatever1.bsmx, whatever2.bsmx, etc.

It seems you are essentially creating a way to revert the databases to any previous point (by deleting the current whatever.bsmx file and then taking the number out of whichever whatever(X).bsmx file you want) and that's cool, but this will eventually lead to cluttering up that directory with hundreds upon hundreds of .bsmx files, especially if a user is in and out of the program several times on brew days or while designing recipes, etc. I may be in the minority of users, but I don't like the idea of the program making so many files so often. While each file only ranges from a few KB to almost a MB, that can add up to a big mess in the long run. Of course, I know with modern drive capacities the storage is trivial, but there is probably a better solution for helping users with backups.

Sorry if this sounds like nitpicking because I really do like your program a lot. I only came across this issue when I had to reinstall the program then try to find my recipes and profiles within a system backup I had. I was really surprised by just how many files were in that directory.

Cheers!
Shawn

fourdegrees said:
but this will eventually lead to cluttering up that directory with hundreds upon hundreds of .bsmx files, especially if a user is in and out of the program several times on brew days or while designing recipes, etc.

BeerSmith limits the number of redundant files to 5 per database. Regardless of how many times you're in or out of BeerSmith that number remains constant. It's only taking up 72mB of space. Is that similar to yours?

A new feature is the archive folder where all changes are archived and stored. I'm in and out of BeerSmith several times a day. This folder doesn't take up much space at all.

Back