• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sort of candi sugar syrup

brewbirds

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi hopefully someone can help me figure out what I have made :)  then how to put it into Beersmith.  Feeling quite stupid today!
Gathered approx 5 cups dandelion flower plus 2 cups honeysuckle flower. 
Boiled then steeped overnight to yield 14 cups herb tea.
Reduced to 1/2 gallon by boiling. Stirred in 2 lb cane sugar until clear and add 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
Boiled 20 minutes.

It was attempted to be a flavored Candi syrup but I guess it wasn't done correctly. The plan was to add two cups to the secondary (for 2.5 gal batch).
I can't even get a gravity reading on it. After diluting a sample with four times its weight in water the refractometer gave back 1.070.
Sure hate to waste it, spent over four hours collecting/preparing flower petals. But how would I enter it as:  0.5 gallons of 1.211 sugar?

Did all of the sugar remain in suspension?  Is there any crystallization of the sugar?  What does it taste like?  Best I can tell you is to take a reading of the wort before & after adding it.

Thank you for responding Bob.
All sugar is in suspension with no crystals. It is extremely sweet honey-like with a faint nuttiness from the herbs. I was confused in following the instructions between the super heated method and the acid steep method so really got neither correct. The syrup seems thinner than pancake syrup or something and also concerned it will not keep. I will check the OG before and after as you suggest. Guess I will put the volume in as if it was top off water and use the calculated density as a potential yield, then adjust it later based on the observed change in gravity.

you could work out the percentages.  The fermentables are coming from the 2lbs of sugar you added.  That is a 100% fermentable  Tell Michelle that when we need invert sugar at work we buy it, Lyle’s Golden Syrup.  this is where the ole candy thermometer comes in handy, boil at 236* for at least 20 mins
Recipe:
Invert sugar 

What I do when I make Candi Syrup is I weigh the empty container that I intend to store the syrup in and then I make my syrup using your example of 2 lb of sugar.
When the syrup is in the container I weigh it again and subtract the original weight of the container and then from that I subtract the weight of the sugar. The result will be the weight of water.
To add this to your recipe the sugar weight will not change so your fermentables will be in your case 2lbs of sugar and the water volume will be whatever the weight of the water equals.
I am from Australia and we use kilos and litres so the calcs are very easy.
If I have a weight difference from the above calcs of 500 gramms then that equals half a litre of water.
Hope this helps

Back