• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

5gal brew pot, 5 gal cooler/mashtun problems with batch size

Beer_Tigger

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a 5gal brew pot & 5 gal cooler/mashtun.  When I tried to make this my equipment, I get several problems.  I took a copy of "Brew Pot  (6 gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)" and changed the appropriate values with a top off value so that the final volume is 5gal, which is the batch size I use.  However, when trying to convert extract recipies to all grain, I get the message: "For an all grain recipie, the boil volume must be larger than the final volume...".  Why must this be?  Is there a better way of defining my equipment? :-\

The error message was put in there to prevent people from simply converting their extract recipes to all grain while retaining the same boil volume - which was a common problem identified during beta testing.  For example an extract recipe with a 2-3 gal boil volume if converted to all grain with the same boil volume can result in some pretty odd conversions.

Most all grain brewers draw a gallon or two more off the mash and then boil it down which concentrates the wort and results in higher efficiency, which is why they recommend a 6-8 gallon pot for a 5 gallon batch.

However, I'll admit that I probably need to change the constraint in the error message to allow for ranges a little below the final volume.

In the meantime, my recommended workaround would be to use another equipment profile when doing your all grain conversion that has a slightly higher boil volume, then just use the scale recipe command to scale it down to your final equipment settings.  I know its not perfect, but I just changed the code for the next version- it will only display the message if your new boil volume is less than 85% of the final volume.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks for the fix and the suggestion.  Will try it next batch.

Back