• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding fruit/vegetables so they don't factor into grain bill

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm not seeing how I can add a fruit or vegetable adjunct to a recipe and not have it contribute to the grain bill percentages. I'm adding it to secondary, so while it will likely add some fermentables (sort of a shot-in-the-dark figuring out that amount), it wouldn't be contributing to the OG as it comes out of the kettle. In practice, I'm using avoir dupois when it comes to measuring out my grains for the mash, but I like looking at the percentages, and other "sugars" skew that, no matter where they're added.

Is there any way to do this using a fruit/vegetable as a "grain" addition, or should that me added as a "miscellaneous item?"

"Avoirdupois." Congratulations on sending me to the dictionary!

At this point, BeerSmith does not incrementally add fermentables. It takes a fairly lengthy set of formulas to account for gravity calculations once fermentation has kicked in. BeerSmith simply shows a summation of all fermentables added, even if the "Add after boil" box is checked.

On the plus side, this reliably predicts post fermentation gravity and alcohol content. Personally, I think that even if a whole lot of options and check boxes were added, somebody would be creative enough to do something still more different.

Certainly, going by measurements mid fermentation would be unreliable because yeast work at a pace set by hundreds of variables that are totally out of BeerSmith's predictive control.

So, if you're gonna go off the path, you'll probably have to make your own map!  :D  My suggestion would be to print the recipe without the additions, for the wort making process. Then add them and track the totals in the program.

I've posted about making fruit additions before. This thread may have some of what you're looking for. http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5402.msg42769.html#msg42769

Ha! Glad to I could encourage some learnin'!  ;)

Thanks for the input. I'll lay my cards on the table: at my local brew club's meeting last night, another brewer asked if anyone was interested in making an asparagus beer, and since I've actually had an asparagus beer (and, what's more, liked it), I jumped into the fray. Our plan is to create a basic rye saison (pilsner and probably flaked rye), French hops (I ordered Aramis and Triskel today), and the Wyeast French Saison yeast (3711, if memory serves). We'll let primary finish, rack to secondary, and add grilled asparagus pureé, flavored with black pepper and lemon zest. I'll grant that this is bizarre, but again, I've had an asparagus beer and thought it pretty tasty. You do have to like asparagus, I guess :D I think the combination of beer ingredients and adjunct flavorings will be pretty tasty, though--this will be a true farmhouse beer!

I didn't want to add the asparagus to the boil, because boiled asparagus--or boiled any veggie, for that matter--is nasty times ten. I'd love to leach some green into the beer, and I think secondary is the place for that. I really don't care what gravity contribution the asparagus lends--I'm more interested in where it falls procedurally. I'm pretty sure the sugar addition would be minimal, anyway; asparagus isn't exactly what you'd call "sweet." I'm more after the flavor, color, and freak factor :p

So, I don't know if that gives any more clarity as to what I'm trying to do with the program, but it sounds like I either treat it as "miscellaneous" or follow your steps and do a two-part recipe--or maybe just record it in the notes.

I'll post the recipe over in the recipe section. For what it's worth, I'm calling it "Saison Asperges." Damn, homebrewing is crazy fun  8)

I would guess you own Radical Brewing.  Or follow Sam C. from Dogfish.  I admire your creativity.  Chestnuts, asparagus, grapefruits, etc. Whats next?

Ha! You are correct, sir! Don't forget my buckwheat ale, which is Interwebs semi-famous (if you're to believe Google). I'm perhaps a weird breed of homebrewer, in that I'm totally OK with making perfectly average, standard beers that are nothing really that adventurous, and things that are totally off the wall. I'm not that interested in ribbon-winning brews; I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but it's not a driving factor for me in my homebrewing adventures. I miss a lot more than I hit, but that's OK with me. I love the process as much, if not more, than the product. I should have been a scientist rather than a creative, really :D

As for what's on my list: I definitely want a peach pie with crumb topping beer later this summer, and I will also be making a "chips and salsa" beer with malted corn, tomatoes, jalapenos, and cilantro. A caramelized sweet potato stout sounds kind of fun, too. The rest of the schedule will be determined by what our CSA and garden yield, but we're still buried in snow so who knows?

cmbrougham said:
We'll let primary finish, rack to secondary, and add grilled asparagus pureé, flavored with black pepper and lemon zest.

Good God, man! No butter?

That actually sounds savory. I just hope you plan on making enough to top a steak, as well.

I didn't want to add the asparagus to the boil... and I think secondary is the place for that. I really don't care what gravity contribution the asparagus lends--I'm more interested in where it falls procedurally.

I'll cut right to it.

Place the Asparagus, zest and pepper all as separate Misc ingredients. Within the window you're adding them, the lowest section is "Use During." Set this for Secondary.  It will now all appear in the brewing steps* at the rack to secondary step.

If you were looking for calculated fermentability from any ingredient, it must come from the "Grain" database. However, clicking the Add After Boil box merely places the item into the primary, with the initial wort. Having an insert point choice may come with a future update, along with pre-sugar pre-boil gravity predictions.

*If you wish to see the changed steps in any recipe, you must first close or just save the recipe, then click to the My recipes folder (or custom folder). To see the changed steps, briefly click any other random recipe, then back to the one you're working on. This forces BeerSmith to re-read your recipe and assemble the steps in the new order.

cmbrougham, you should look into entering the Doug King Memorial, organized by the Maltose Falcons. Basically it's an all "specialties" contest. Doug King was a brewer's brewer who came up with amazing and idiosyncratic specialty beers.

As for the "Chips & Salsa" beer, try roasted Poblanos and Jalapeno's. Take the ribs and seeds out of the jalapenos because beer is a very effective vector for capsicum. No corn needed, just boil with the lid nearly on for 30 to 40 minutes. The DMS will be just like a tortilla chip.

No Cilantro in hot wort. It'll taste soapy, no matter what!

I do a beer writer/blogger collaboration series and it always seems to be a specialty type beer they want to make. The next one will be a Thai Green Curry inspired Saison.

Back