• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Weird Beer: Saison Asperges

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
"Asperges" is French for "asparagus." Can you see where this is going? :D

Recipe: Saison Asperges
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.38 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.88 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.15 gal 
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
8 lbs                Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM)    Grain        1        59.3 %       
2 lbs                Rye, Flaked (Briess) (4.6 SRM)          Grain        2        14.8 %       
1 lbs                Rye Malt (Briess) (3.7 SRM)              Grain        3        7.4 %       
1.00 oz              Aramis [8.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min          Hop          4        23.3 IBUs   
0.50 oz              Triskel [3.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop          5        2.9 IBUs     
0.50 oz              Triskel [3.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  15.0 Hop          6        1.4 IBUs     
1.0 pkg              French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 Yeast        7        -           
2 lbs 8.0 oz          Asparagus (3.0 SRM)                      Adjunct      8        18.5 %       
1.00 oz              Black Pepper (Secondary 10.0 days)      Spice        9        -           
0.75 oz              Lemon Peel (Secondary 10.0 days)        Spice        10      -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Thin Mash
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time   
Mash In          Add 19.25 qt of water at 159.2 F        151.0 F      60 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.98 gal water at 168.0 F

Notes:
------
Use fresh young asparagus shoots. Trim off bottoms and clean well. Soak in fresh lemon juice, sprinkle liberally with coarse black pepper (and salt?), and grill over charcoal fire until soft, but not dried out. Juice/blend with wort or water to create thin juice extract. Add to secondary. Black pepper and lemon peel also added to secondary.

I'll grant that it's bizarre, but I've had an asparagus-infused beer and I rather liked it. I'm just kicking it up a notch. A fellow brewer and I are just waiting for the snow to finally melt and the local crop to start up, and this one will go into action. Hooray, homebrewing!

I know this is a really old thread, but did you ever get around to brewing this recipe?  If so, how was it?  Sounds hella interesting....

Back