• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starter from Wyeast smack pack

Pompeysie

Brewer
Reaction score
Tomorrow is brew day. I'm going for an American IPA, est. OG 1.068. I am using Wyeast 1056 American Ale, smack pack. Should I make a starter out of this or will it be enough on its own, direct from the pack?

If a starter is required (I don't have a stir plate), can anyone recommend a suitable process to follow (no doubt someone will have posted something here).

Many thanks

Simon

I'd say the smack pack is sufficient for that gravity and a 5 gal batch.

I've done it many times.

Pompeysie said:
Tomorrow is brew day. I'm going for an American IPA, est. OG 1.068. I am using Wyeast 1056 American Ale, smack pack. Should I make a starter out of this or will it be enough on its own, direct from the pack?

If a starter is required (I don't have a stir plate), can anyone recommend a suitable process to follow (no doubt someone will have posted something here).

1.068 is a bit over the recommended gravity and you will be under-pitching,  You should make a starter.  Here is the Whilelabs starter procedure.  http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew/starter-tips  Without a stir plate, I mixed DME to 120F water at a 10:1 ratio (100grams DME to 1 liter water).  I brought it to low boil for 10 minutes (watching carefully so that it did not boil over) and turned off heat and covered with foil.  I cooled to 68F then pitched the yeast.  I shook it every 10 - 15 minutes for hours.  After that process a few times, I bought a stir plate :)

The Activator™ package contains a minimum of 100 billion cells in a yeast slurry.. The Activator™ is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates. For lagers, we recommend inoculating the wort at warm temperatures (68-70°F/ 20-21°C), waiting for signs of fermentation, and then adjusting to the desired temperature. Alternatively, for pitching into cold conditions (34-58°F/ 1-14°C) or higher gravity wort, we recommend increasing this pitching rate. This can be achieved by pitching additional Activator™ packages or by making a starter culture. Please see the Pitch Rate section for additional information.

You can underpitch with viable yeast. Depends on the date on the package. I'd smack it and if it didn't fully swell within 24 hours I would make a starter.

Thanks for the input. I have decided to go for the starter - currently doing it's thing.

Simon

One final question.

I don't have a stir plate. I have made about 2 litres of starter (as per the amount suggested on the Wyeast website). I know that many of you cold-crash your starters when you are using a stir plate in order to separate the yeast cake from the starter wort. I intend to brew tomorrow so wont have time to cold-crash. However, I also don't really want to add 2 litres of starter into my beer. Should I just pour off some of the starter wort and just pour the remaining yeasty sludge into the wort? I suspect most of the yeast will settle out overnight anyway?

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

I just dump the starter in never had a problem.  Some smack packs take forever to inflate.  I usually make a starter.  I add the contents of the smack pack to the starter wort with inflating.  The pack contains yeast nutrients, the inner pack is the yeast.  With making a starter you are just proofing the yeast so to speak by inflating it.

OK thanks. It just rather a lot of starter (over 8% of total wort volume).

All the best

Simon

yeast calculator
you may find the site above helpful.  it will give you the viability of your yeast before you make a starter to see what size you need and whether you need to step it up to get your yeast count. '

It does seem to be a lot to dump in.  I have not noticed any flavor issues by doing so.  My starters for lagers I do cold crash.  A lot of those can easily be 4 or 5 liters in size.  You also can let the stater settle overnight and careful pour off the wort or remove it with a sanitized turkey baster.

Wyeast 1056 is pretty hardy and most of the times the pack is about 60% swollen before you ever smack the pack.  It usually swells all the way within an hour or 2.  If it takes more than a few hours to swell, either replace it or make a starter to get it rejuvenated.

-Dan

Back