• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash yield disaster

TAHammerton

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
The last time I brewed this style of beer - American Wheat/Rye Ale - I had a mash efficiency of 71.7% and overall of 60.6%. Tonight I did a slightly tweaked version of the same recipe and mashed between 150 and 152F - never outside of that for one hour ( I have a temp controlled re-circulation system). Instead of 5 gallons I got 4.25 and missed my OG by 0.002. Mash efficiency 47.5% with total efficiency 44.9%! WTF! Everything went like clockwork so I am completely baffled. What went wrong? Am I not crushing my grains enough? I usually get 67-73% efficiency in the mash - I have never had anything like this before.

Suggestions/help anyone?

I'd start by reading this thread:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,10779.0.html

Thanks Tom,

I have gone over every thing and come to the following conclusions:
1. Don't brew beer when you are sick and tired - you will make dumb mistakes.
2. I used the wrong Equipment profile so my volumes were a bit off. Had I not been sick and tired I would have realized this.
3. I skipped the protein rest
4. I do think the grains were not crushed enough
5. I did not do a good job sparging - was rushing it as I was tired and sick.

The really annoying part was this was supposed to be for a homebrew competition. I needed to get it brewed in order for it to be correctly aged for the competition. Had it been any ordinary brew I would not have attempted to brew under the circumstances. I think it will be an OK beer but not what I intended to brew, so very disappointed. I have certainly humbled myself and hopefully will learn from this!

Wheat and rye has a smaller kernel size and requires a mill adjustment to crush correctly.

Back