• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brew won't carbonate

chasinreno

Brewer
Reaction score
My last batch was a Rye beer and the fermentation went as expected.  It is a little sweet but not overly so.  My problem is that it's been in the keg for over a week and it won't carbonate.  I started at about 10psi and after a couple days went to 15psi and now I'm up to 20psi and it's still flat.  I did a quick sanitize on my keg, didn't take it apart, and the last batch carbonated nicely so I don't think it's a mechanical problem.  It pours well, though, maybe not as briskly as it should at 15psi.  My CO2 bottle shows pressure at the edge of the red zone so I have good pressure there.
I'm at a loss as to what to do.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Try shaking the heck out of it with the CO2 attached at 15-20psi, being careful not to let beer into the gas tubing. Or charge it up to 20psi, detach, shake, and reattach. You should hear a hiss as gas enters the keg. Repeat until carbonated.

Back