• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water to grain ratio

breibrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Question? Where can I find the water to grain ratio in Beersmith and can it be changed? I know typically you see 1.25 quarts per pound, however that's not ideal for my system.

Thanks I'm trying to customize a mash profile.

If you want to change it for future recipes open the mash profile you want to edit. Double click on the one of the rest half way down the screen, in the box that opens right second row.

If you want to change for the recipe your working on. Select mash upper ribbon, double click on the rest.

Follow up question. Beersmith won't let me change the strike water temp?? Its saying 171.8 and my system only requires around 162 to mash in at 154

Most people mash in with a little hotter strike water then stir the mash until they reach the mash temp. Eight degrees seems a little lite between strike  and mash temp.
You can adjust the strike temp by changing  the grain temp and mash tun temp in the mash screen.

breibrew said:
.............Beersmith won't let me change the strike water temp?? Its saying 171.8 and my system only requires around 162 to mash in at 154

BS calculates the strike needed to hit the mash-in temp you entered.  Usually the delta is 8-11F, depending on the system profile.  17.8F does seem high, so I would suspect a profile error, perhaps related to water volumes.  If it needs water that hot, I would guess there is not enough water being added, according to what BS is getting from your data entry.  What's the water:grain ratio?  False bottom?  Size or volume of MLT, etc. 

Sounds like the value you are seeing is taking in your equipment (mash tun), and the extra heat required is used to account for loss due to the equipment.  If you want to see strike water temp, and not account for the equipment, uncheck the box for "adjust temp for equipment"

Back