• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How much priming sugar?

h4brewing

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
    How much priming sugar should I add per 1 gallon of beer?  This would be added just before sealing the bottles?

I come up with this for 1 gal- 32 grams. or  1.13 oz.or .16 cup. but I would mix it in well before bottling. 

yes, but corn sugar is the best. cane/ beet sugar at high amounts can change the taste of the beer. 

all grain said:
yes, but corn sugar is the best. cane/ beet sugar at high amounts can change the taste of the beer.
you should always boil your priming sugar also, boiling with 1/2 cup water will keep thing sterile then add to beer when cooled. 

Thanks for the help allgrain...Yea I have heard that you are supposed to boil with water, I would rather just add the sugar strait though.

h4brewing said:
Thanks for the help allgrain...Yea I have heard that you are supposed to boil with water, I would rather just add the sugar strait though.

You shouldn't do what you'd rather do in this case.  You should do as allgrain suggests.

Boiling your bottling sugar in water accomplishes two major things.
1.  It kiss off any bacteria and sterilizes your bottling sugar.
2.  It allows for even distribution of the bottling sugar through your beer.

If you just add the sugar to your beer and stir, you might not get even distribution.  Some of the sugar may not dissolve in the colder mid 60's F beer and will settle to the bottom.  The first bottles filled will not have enough bottling sugar (these might not carbonate up at all) and the last bottles filled will have too much bottling sugar (these are potential bottle bombs).

You should also put the bottling sugar solution in your bottling bucket first and then rack your beer on top of it.  I don't stir mine, as this might introduce oxygen.  As my beer is siphoned into my bottling bucket, it gently swirls around and blends the bottling sugar throughout the beer.  You can stir yours if you'd like, but stir gently if you do.

You shouldn't put the sugar directly into the bottles and then fill the bottles with beer.  I tried it this way when I first started 30 years ago and no matter how well you think you measured out your bottling sugar, you can't do it well enough by hand to get even carbonation.

Finally got a beer thats drinkable.  Tastes pretty good, has a bite to it.  Still not seeing carbination though, if it doesn't fizz up is it still considered beer lol

h4brewing said:
Still not seeing carbination though, if it doesn't fizz up is it still considered beer lol

I'm confused.... When did you bottle? What kind of sugar? And how much?

Reading this thread it seems like you only just bottled? ???

Carbonation can take from 10 to 15 days, in cool conditions. One way to ensure carbonation is to staet with the bottles upside down and then turn them over about 4 days in. Give them a little swirl to roust teh sediment out of the neck. This forces the yeast through the beer, carbonating even the most potent alcohol bombs.

h4brewing said:
Finally got a beer thats drinkable.  Tastes pretty good, has a bite to it.  Still not seeing carbination though, if it doesn't fizz up is it still considered beer lol

Seems your having trouble getting the carbonation in check. i suggest going to the brew store and getting some carbonation drops. ;)

Back