• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Nutrients

D

davidliles

I recently brewed two batchs, Belgian Wit and a Brown Ale. I put one in a glass fermenter and the other in a conical fermenter. I pitched an appropriate yeaster starter in to each and after about three days all air-lock activity stopped. Both fermenters were maintained at about 68 degrees F.

I'm curious as to other's opinions regarding yeast nutrients... are they worth using or not because my fermentations usually take longer then just a couple of days.

Thanks,
David
www.kcbrewcrew.org

David:

I am a little confused about what you are referring to as a yeast starter. I use a yeast starter for all my brews and it consists of about 2 -3 cups of sterile wort containing yeast that has been fermenting for about 24 -36 hours to allow the yeast to be actively fermenting and dividing before they are pitched into my 5 -6 gallons of wort for the beer I am making. Is this what you are referring to or are you referring to the yeast nutrient packets ( ammonium salts, etc) sold in homebrew stores as yeast nutrient? I do not use yeast nuttrient as your wort should have all the necessary components for good yeast growth and fermentation. If not, you need to adjust your mash process in some way. Yeast nutrient packets are used more in making wine as grape juice often is lacking in nitrogen (proteins, amino acids) to promote good yeast growth and fermentation. Malted barley generally has sufficient nitrogen for yeast growth.

Dr Malt ;)

Back