• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bad weather brew day

BM1

Apprentice
Reaction score
Nobody home?! It IS brew season y'know.Hmmm...Nobody posting unless you're brewing?I brew all year long:even in the harshest weather,summer,fall,winter,spring.Where thre"s a will there's a way.I live in southern Indiana where the weather is crazy one week and nuts thenext week.I planned a brew day 2-3 weekss ahead,recently, and that day,it rained,sleeted and snowed...ARRGGHHH!Didn't stop me.

The bad weather was predicted for the "late afternoon ::).I decided to get up early and get a head start.It was already cold outside.I staeted my mash inside on my kitchen range and,after runoff,I proceeded outside with my burner to set up for a 60 minute boil :eek:.I openrd the back door,burner and tank in hands,and was instantly pelted with 'BB'sized sleet mixrd with rain and snow(March 2nd 2014)My fresh pot of wort was sitting on the kitchen floor :D."NO WAY!",said I.THe storm was early!

After cntemplating my limited options,I decidedf to brew inside 8).Iwent to my shed and got my window fan,installed it in the window in my kitchen and opened the back door.I guess my neighbors thought I was crazy.I set up my burner in the kitdhen an finnished my brew making sure that I was always standing in the fridged air stream coming in my back door.
Code:
So,don't be dicouraged by bad weather.If you want to brew,there are always options.

I had water dripping off my ceiling once when I boiled inside, the outdoor temp was -18.

Back