• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

sour mash?

all grain

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
oh, most of the time after I get done brewing I'm beet and leave the mash tun for the next day and I always test the leftover wert that was left behind. with the long time just sitting and cooling the wert will come out @ about 1.034 or so and its sour as hell. can I boil it and ferment to make a sour , or it this a bad idea?

Short answer is Yes!

It'll be only 3 to 3.5% abv. I recommend taking the sour wort and a portion (10 -20%) of the sour grains and adding it to a 50/50 blend of pale and wheat malts. Shoot for a gravity of 1.045 before adding the sour grains and wort. The double mash will retain the sourness and boost abv to about 4.5 to 5%.

Keep IBUs low, at 10 or less.

It'll be a funky sourness that can even take on fruit flavor pretty well.

This sounds fun. I think I'm going to try this this week. Brewing a sort-of schwarzbier/robust porter on Friday; our brew club's June experiment used this set of dice with ingredients, amounts and times to generate a recipe, and I got 8# of Munich, 1.66# (!!!) of chocolate rye, and 0.66# of Special B, a strange mish-mash of hops, and San Fran lager yeast. I think I'll throw some extra base malt into the MLT and save the last runnings and mash overnight to do a small batch on Saturday. Maybe a sour fruit stout...!

brewfun: with the sour wort, do you recommend using that as a portion of the strike water, and heating it? I know the bugs are going to get fried one way or the other, but just wondering how to factor that into the liquid amounts.

Back