• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Milled Grain

Slobrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
After 4 years of extract brewing I've just moved on to full grain. I ordered milled grain on line and put it in the beer fridge for storage, then something came up and I was not able to brew as soon as I wanted. Will the grain go bad, or just lose some of its freshness. I'm trying to figure out if I have to toss it or just go ahead and use it.

Most people like to use crushed grain within two weeks.  Uncrushed, you can keep it a lot longer.  I've heard you can keep it for a year.  I usually use a bag of grain up in about two months.  I always crush mine the morning of brew day.

crushing grain makes me Sneeze. I crush mine the night before brewday, don't want to sneeze into my beer. P.S I have kept crushed grain in a sealed bag for 10 days in the basement  with no noticeable negative effects.

Thanks for all the replies. The grain is in a sealed bag, I'm going to go ahead and use it and see what happens. Probably be 6 weeks old by the time it becomes wort.

Back