• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Windows 8.1 Display Issue

kcjaz

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded a trial version of Beersmith (V2.2.12) and am having trouble with the display scaling on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with 3200x1800 screen resolution.  Brad has sent me an email and he is looking into this but I was wondering if anyone else was having this or a similar issue.  Perhaps more information from users can help Brad fix this.

What is happening is the titles on the various tabs and fields are cut off to the point they are not readable.  In general, everything is really small.  The ingredient list window is so small,  I can only read two columns at a time by manually resizing them but this pushes the other columns out of view.  If I change the screen resolution to something lower, the size is better (for Beersmith but everything else on the computer is cartoon big) but the words on the tabs are still cut off and the problem with the ingredient window is the same. 

If I was familiar with the program, I might be able to limp along.  As I'm new to Beersmith, it is not really usable as it is on my PC. 

Thanks,
  I'm aware of the issue and plan to update it in the next release, but it will take some basic changes that will take some time to implement.  I apologize for the problem - it is related to some of the new very high resolution screens coming out and the way the program handles scaling for certain elements.

Brad

Can you provide an update on this topic.  I too have the Yoga Pro 2 and am having this issue.  I ran into another thread of related topic and it appears others are having similar issues.  I just registered the software today and it is fairly difficult to navigate in its current state.

The related thread can be found here... http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,11607.0.html

I have the same issue on the Surface Pro 3.  It's a HiDPI scaling issue that many apps unfortunately still have.  Hopefully Windows 9 will help in this regard, but in the interim it's up to the developers to adapt their apps to HiDPI screens.

I have the same issue with my Acer Aspire S7. Anyone with a higher resolution screen with scaling will have this issue, and for me, it makes Beersmith almost unusable, as I cannot read the numbers in various cells.

Any update on an estimated date for the next release that will fix this issue?

A temporary workaround would be to at least let us see what content a cell has in it with a hover over feature, rather than displaying the tooltip when hovering over (the tooltip could be displayed when hovering over the title of the cell/box, not the box content). That way, even if we can't view it properly on the screen or in our printouts (my printouts look worse than the screen, and I'm not sure why that would be related?), we could at least get the information for a particular cell when really needed.

Thanks in advance for replying with an update, Brad. Much appreciated.

am also having the problem with a linux Fedora21 laptop with a HiDPI screen, pretty much makes it unuseable :(

I just posted a fix for the Windows version (as beta 2.2.13) here:
  http://beersmith.com/download-beersmith

Cheers,
Brad

Back