• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop additions at certain times

NaymzJaymz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first forum post. I'll try not to be too verbose. Upon "designing" my first IPA on BeerSmith, I noticed that how long the hops are in the boil determines the amount of bitterness. I know this sounds so naïve, but I never thought about it before seeing it In the software. In other words, if I put 4 oz. in a 60 minute boil, it contributes considerably more bitterness than 2oz. for 60 minutes and 2oz. for 30 minutes. Can someone give a breakdown on a hopping schedule for an IPA, or brewing in general? What am I "getting" with the hop additions a certain intervals(boil, 30 min., 10, min., flameout, dry hop)I also notice that dry hopping adds no IBU's, so is that for aroma only? I know these questions may seem silly to experienced brewers, but I'd like to know. Thank you!

One thing you can do is peek at some other recipes on beersmith and homebrewtalk to get an idea60 minute additions will contribute bitterness and pretty much all aromas will be boiled off
20 minutes can add bitterness, and contribute more flavor, but will still boil off a good amount of yhe aromas.
15, 10 and 5 minute additions will add small amounts of bitterness, and will contribute more flavor and preserve more aroma than longer boils
For an Ipa I recommend a healthy knockout steep. I tend to use about 4 oz per 5.5 gallon batch size. Chill the wort to about 170* and let the hops steep anywhere from 20-60 minutes. You will get tons of flavor and tons of aroma, and a healthy dry hop will be essential for aroma.

An example of my hop schedule for an Ipa:

1oz chinook or Columbus 60 min
1oz simcoe 20 min
1oz nelson Sauvin 10 and 5 min
1oz each simcoe, amarillo, nelson Sauvin and chinook at knockout steep
1oz simcoe, chinook and 2oz nelson Sauvin dry hop.

Thank you, sir! That is exactly what I've been wondering about. Another naïve question from me would be in regard to the chilling to 170 degrees for the knockout hops. Do you use an immersion chiller? At that time do you maintain the wort at 170 with heat, or does it continue to cool? I don't have an immersion chiller, I use a inline homemade copper line that the beer runs through. What if I added those hops at flameout? Any adverse effects on the wort because of the steeping temp of 170 degrees for that amount of time? Thank you!!!!!!

I take my keg off the propane burner, pour cold water on the outside of the keg until it stops hissibg and stir like crazy. Then add the hops whenever i feel like it. I know I should probably take a temp reading before i add them, but i don't. Then I swirl them around for a while then leave them in the kettle while I chill the beer. I siphon into the carboy and leave the hops behind. It's probably not the best method but it works for me.

Does anyone know of a good resource that explains in detail what hops are best for what addition? And how does cohumulone levels fit into that and where that information on cohumulone levels can be found?

Does anyone know of a good resource that explains in detail what hops are best for what addition?

Go to someplace that sells hops. I order mine from hops direct. 

http://www.hopsdirect.com/

They don't say what hops are best for what addition, but they do give notes on aroma and recommended styles. It's up to you to decide if you want a hop that imparts a (for example) "woody" or "citrus" aroma.

And how does cohumulone levels fit into that and where that information on cohumulone levels can be found?

Can't help you with that.

http://byo.com/resources/hops

There is also a very nice chart in "Clone Brews"

Back