• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steep/Whirlpool hop error

ChrisS

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm running BS Mobile 2.0 on my Kindle. I just brewed an IPA recipe where I used 2 oz of Cascade at flameout (actually, cooled to 170F as a hop stand but BS doesn't seem to allow that). I created the recipe a couple of months ago and entered these 2 oz as "Steep/Whirlpool" for 30 min. It has always shown "0.0 IBU" in the recipe for this addition, as it should. I brewed it this past Monday and just went back in to the file today (Sat) to enter sthe current SG in the brew log. Now it shows the Steep/Whirlpool addition as "17.6 IBU". It never showed this before. I tried deleting the entry, saving, exiting and the reentering it but now it always shows up as contributing significant IBUs to the recipe. Can anyone explain this? It just seems wierd that it used to work correctly and now doesn't.

Oops! Guess I should have scanned down through previous posts. Just saw the one from alcal with a similar issue. That does bring up the issue of IBUs contributed by steeping. I can see where steeping from flameout (i.e. boiling) could contribute bitterness but cooling to 170F before adding hops for a hop stand really shouldn't. My understanding is that this is about aroma, not bitterness.  I don't know if there could be a way to account for this in the software. Seems unlikely. It's not a big deal to just disregard the bitterness addition in the future. It's just wierd how the calculation changed overnight.

Back