• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

steep or partial mash barleywine?

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a Barleywine this weekend. I have all my ingredients ready but I'm wondering if I should pm the specialty grains with some 2 row or just steep them and add lme from there?
3 gallon batch size
I have:
.5lb honey malt
.5 lb C10*
.25 special b
Wpl090 san Diego super yeast

2 3.3lb pilsen light lme containers.

I'm lookin at about 1.090 OG
And 17 Srm
Grain bill is based off Widmer Bros drop top, minus the lactose sugar.

I haven't done an extract batch before, aside from Mr beer. I want to try and cut down on how long it takes to brew and also cut out the mash efficiency issues from what would be a pretty massive grain bill if I did all grain like I usually do

The Crystal 10 doesn't need to be mashed.  The process of making it basically converts the starches to sugar in the husk before you ever get it.

The honey malt and special B would benefit from mashing.  You'd still get the colors and the flavors from them without mashing, but you wouldn't get near as much sugar.  But, since the quantities are so low at .5# and .25#, I doubt that it would matter much in the overall beer.  You're getting your gravity from the extracts.

The specialty grains are all mixed in the same bag from bader. If it would benefit from mashing, then I'll add a pound of 2 row and mash it then. Thanks scott!

Back