• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

cold crashing temperature

Damrite

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if my cold room is too warm for cold crash daytime it gets around 52 f or 11 celcius, what do you guys think.
Thanks

52 is not that cool. I would  put fermenter in ice water, a container about 12 inches deep should work. the deeper the better. when I do this I put  frozen water bottles in there and change them 2 a day.

Yep that was my second option.. thanks for the feedback ;)

I know I am going to catch a lot of flak for this, but cold crashing is not necessary. I hold my beer at 65F in the secondary for 5 days after all signs of fermentation have ceased before bottling. It is crystal clear.

many things in life and beer are not necessary but what fun would that be. As for flak, without that there would be a lot less posts on these forums.
  Now in all seriousness, ale yeast have temperature ranges they like to hangout in just like we do. lower the temps and see less of them and of us.
  Also yeast are only one part of the equation for clear beer. Variables, variables, so many variables. can anyone name some more of the variables for clear beer?     

Grain and hops particulates held in suspension can be an issue.  I know it is basic but I'm not a chemist, I just make Home Brew, dude!  8)

GOOD THING I CAN DO SIMPLE MATH OR I COULD NOT POST ANYTHING HERE!
Cheers and drink one for me. 

I actually cold crash for the first, I would say there's less sediments in the bottle for sure, but the carbonisation seems to be a lot slower.

When I cold crash I do it on my keg frig at 40 degrees for 1-2 days.  Having said that you may not have a frig or the room so here are some alternatives.  You can use polycar or gelatin finings.  My favorite is polycar though.  For this you use .5 to 1.5 oz per gallon based on experience.  Put it in 1-2 cups of boiled water and stir it up.  Cool the mixture to 75 degrees and gently add to your carbouy.  Stir it gently a couple of time and let it sit.  It works great. 

I'm ready to bottle a summit horizon red ale clone tonight. All looks good. I cold crashed with gelatin for the first time.
It's been sitting at 35 degrees for 4 days.
Question: Would you recommend adjusting the corn sugar for the cold crash?

Back