• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

TLC American Pale Ale - Feedback please

Mutus

Apprentice
Reaction score
A little background... I was hired for a new position at the school I teach at. During our first team meeting my Principal handed a small gift to each of us representing what we each brought to the team. My gift was an ounce of Amarillo hops and a packet of Safale yeast (presumable I either bring a sense of craft and experimentation or beer, damn it). I'd like to design a beer around them for our group and I came up with this.

TLC American Pale Ale
4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
2 lbs Amber Dry Extract
1 lbs Dark Dry Extract
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold
0.50 oz Horizon
1.0 pkg Safale American

Any thoughts?

Are you bittering with Amarillo and flavor aroma hopping with horizon? i would swap the two.

I was going to use them both for bittering which is why I only had a 1/2 ounce of Horizon. Boosting it to a full ounce and saving the Amarillo for the last 10 min. seems like a good idea.

Thanks for the tip.

I would bitter to about 35 ibus with the horizon at 60, then steep the Amarillo at flame out for 20 minutes or so, then dry hop with another oz.
I feel like 1# of dark extract might be a bit much, too.

You may want to consider throwing 8 oz of cara pils or crystal 20 into the mix. Will aid in head retention and give you a little more mouth feel.
Just crush and put in a grain bag. put it in at the start and pull it out when your water hits 185 (you could let it sit at that temp for a few minutes if you like.

Back