• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anybody brewing on Big Brew day?

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am! In fact, it'll be my first 10 gallon batch--and actually, it'll be my first two-batch day. Our loosely-organized, newly-christened homebrew club, the Up North Collaboration for Libation Exploration or UNCLE! is getting together to do 6 or 7 batches--we should be well in excess of a BBL brewed!

Another brewer and I are each going to mash a 5 gallon batch for the OG 1.100 Imperial Stout that is one of the official recipes from the AHA, which we'll do as a 10 gallon batch. I usually fly sparge, and he's a batch sparger, so we'll do a tun drain followed by a single batch sparge (I'm adding an extra pound or so of base malt to help account for lost efficiencies). Once that batch is on the fire, we'll do a second sparge for a 5 gallon small beer batch, probably something like a dry stout. I might do a small auxiliary mash on the side to help augment the gravity, but we'll see how we end up. It's a whole bunch of firsts for me: first 10 gallon batch, first double batch day, first really big beer (1.080 is probably as big as I've gone before), first partigyle, and maybe only by third or fourth batch sparge. Really looking forward to it! We've advertised in the community and even had a couple articles in the local paper, and I've heard a lot of interest from people. It's going to be a blast with all the kettles bubbling away!

Anyone else going to participate in some fashion?

I'm not...our club is brewing in front of our lhbs...but I'm flying in from a trip and won't have the vehicle I need to transport my equipment...I'm also lacking the time...I'll drop by for an hour or so though

I got a jump start. I'm doing a batch of Summer Ale today. We'll be out of town this weekend, so I'd be unavailable to participate.

My hometown club is doing a big old fashioned batch. Can't remember what style we settled on but we will be using hot rocks for the boil and other various older techniques, i'm very excited!

Turns out we did not get the method perfected in time for the Steinbier(could not get the rocks hot enough) so we did a batch of Altbier instead. It was a great brew day, hopefully by next year we can do the Stein!

Back