• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Saving ingredients and profiles

The_Hopfather

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been trailing the software for a little over a week now and have got to grips with most of its functions; I think the software is great and am impressed with the level of features and details that been added with the tools and ingredients etc and would like to carry on using it.

One bugbear that keeps cropping up concerns the way ingredients or profiles are saved from the within a recipe.

Example from today:

Editing a recipe, I wanted to change the attenuation of a yeast as the default was a little low, so I clicked on the edit button within the recipe and adjusted the lower limit, then after clicking OK went to save the ingredient. If I went ahead with this, I would end up with two versions of the same yeast, one with the correct values and one without in the ingredients list - so then one must be tracked down and deleted to keep things in-order. The other way to do this is edit the ingredient directly, but then this is not updated in the recipe, so has to be re-selected within the recipe tab.

I have run into many similar scenarios with ingredients and profiles and have now learnt not to touch the save buttons from within the recipe, as editing the item directly then updating is slightly less convoluted without the delete step.

I have thought about this and seems the best way to improve it would be to overwrite the current ingredient or profile when saved from within the recipe tab, with a warning dialog box letting users confirm the action before overwriting – similar to if you try and save an ingredient at present.

It seems like a small thing but has come up quite a few times this week and can see how this could be confusing for new users or those unaware of the issue ending up with many versions of the same profile with slightly differing values - as well as adding functionality to the save buttons which are currently unusable in many situations.

Anyway, I am sorry my first post is slightly negative, the rest of my experience has been very positive, it just seems the save functionality is not quite up to the standards set by an otherwise excellent piece of software.

Many thanks,

Paul.

Back