• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

All grain vs biab recipe

Damrite

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
When you brew a 5.25 gal batch using a all grain recipes
.. do you guys change anything in the recipe when you biab .
Just wondering cause my first batch I've done was an extract irish ale which was very good, I'm using the same all grain recipe from same store doing a biab but I got always taste sweeter and not as
Good.,

I am not sure what you mean by the "same" recipe as extract and grain are quire different (obviously you cannot directly substitute extract for grain in equal weight). If you have a beer that is too sweet likely you are drinking something that was not allowed to go to full fermentation. Beware the exploding bottles. As this is a brewing forum and not a psychic one you are going to have to share a few more details if you want any meaningful help ;) What was the recipe and exactly how did you go about brewing it?

I meant the recipe is all grain I'm doing biab,  I use distilled water, I followed recipes, i sparge it over approx 20 min but the beer is still good it just come out a little to sweet to my taste.

Try lowering the mash temperature to produce less unfermentable sugars and/or using more bittering hops to balance out the sweetness.

If you post the recipe, we'll have a better chance of helping you.  It might just be the recipe! 

If the malt to hop ration is off and not enough hops are used, it will have a more malty/sweet taste.  If your not getting good attenuation from your yeast, then it will leave residual sugars behind that will add to the sweet taste.

Knowing exactly what the recipe is would be key to us helping you!  Without the recipe, we're just guessing.

Damrite said:
  I use distilled water,

Did you treat the water with minerals?  If you used straight distilled water without any additions, it lacks the necessary minerals for the yeast to propagate and thrive.

Damrite said:
I use distilled water,

This could also screw up your mash PH and other things.  Why did you choose to use distilled water?

Sorry i meant filtered water. But that ls an interesting point it did cross my mind cause I only taste it on lighter blonde beer. What are you guys adding to soft city water , I don't have the sctual water profile for mississauga ontario,  I was looking calcium sulfate or something like this, got to look in to my water profile

Back