• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Confused about volume calculations due to losses

ASantiago

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, I formulate a recipe based on 6 gallons, which would include x amount of grains for a certain post-boil OG, x amount of hops for a certain post boil IBUs, etc.  In my equipment profile, I've indicated the "Batch Size" as 6 gallons, as well as x amount of liquid losses throughout the process.

My question is: If the software is accounting for the losses I've specified so that I end up with 6 gallons in the fermenter ("batch size"), doesn't that result in the dilution of the sugars??  I'm speaking only about the loss to trub, chiller, and fermenter, since mash tun deadspace is prior to boil and boil off and cooling shrinkage result in concentration of the sugars, not dilution.

Simple example (ignoring the MT deadspace, boil off, and cooling shrinkage as indicated above)
- 6 gal batch size (into the fermenter at the desired OG; post-boil)
- .5 gal loss to trub and chiller (post-boil; I assume chiller is what's left inside one, i.e., in the line, and is separate from cooling shrinkage)
- .5 fermenter loss (post-boil)

The software then calculates: 6 + .5 + .5 = 7 left AFTER THE BOIL AND COOLING.  Doesn't this mean the sugars are diluted in 1 gal more of water volume (7 vs 6)?

If batch size were measured "into the fermenter" that would be before fermenter losses.

Also I don't see a "batch size" in the equipment profile.. perhaps you mean on the recipe page?

If you change the batch size in the recipe It would dilute the recipe. I don't know how "trub loss" is calculated though. I heard that it is screwy and just set mine to 0.

ASantiago said:
My question is: If the software is accounting for the losses I've specified so that I end up with 6 gallons in the fermenter ("batch size"), doesn't that result in the dilution of the sugars??

Your "Batch Size" as labeled in the recipe design view is labeled as "Batch Volume" in the equipment profile. This is the YIELD from your total post boil, post chill, post transfer volumes. Not precisely a dilution, rather a cutting off of sugars as you've defined it in the profile.

The need for additional volume to account for "loss to trub and chiller" *could* be considered a form of dilution. However, BeerSmith calculates higher mash efficiency as a result of assuming more sparge water going through the grain.

The "Brewhouse Efficiency" determines how this is calculated. In order to have a certain yield from the mash that matches your Brewhouse Efficiency, BeerSmith increases the mash efficiency. This is a source of confusion for some brewers used to making all measurements strictly in the kettle.

Basically, BeerSmith is taking the total available sugars in the grain and using your batch size plus loss to figure the total amount of extraction needed to reach your specified brewhouse efficiency. If you create and brew a recipe with 0 as the loss to trub and chiller, then mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency are the same thing. When the trub loss is >0 then the brewhouse efficiency should be reduced by something close to percentage of loss.

The software then calculates: 6 + .5 + .5 = 7 left AFTER THE BOIL AND COOLING.  Doesn't this mean the sugars are diluted in 1 gal more of water volume (7 vs 6)?

I'm not sure what you're saying because the software is not calculating your volume after chilling. This and trub loss are numbers you supply in the equipment profile. BeerSmith reverse engineers these by summing them and adding the "cooling shrinkage" value to get the hot post boil volume.

If you have a brewed recipe or two with accurate numbers about yield into the fermenter and OG, you can have BeerSmith tell you what brewhouse efficiency you achieved.
  • Use your equipment profile with loss to trub included
  • Simply type in the recipe (including the mash schedule you used)
  • On the Fermentation tab, enter your actual OG and fermenter yield.
  • The "Measured Efficiency" is your brewhouse efficiency.
  • Enter the measured efficiency number into your profile as the brewhouse efficiency number.

Save the profile and apply it to another brewed recipe, repeating the above steps. The brewhouse efficiency number may vary a little depending on how much grain you used or other factors, but you'll start to get an average. This will help you be more accurate in designing recipes and hitting your targets.

Back