• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

help creating mash profile

wedraper

Apprentice
Reaction score
i am an extract w/ specialty grains brewer that uses beersmith 2 mobile on my andoird tablet.  i am looking to make an oatmeal stout.  i found an intriguing recipe online that has gotten some good reviews.  i know i could put all of the steps in the "notes" section of the extract recipe, but i thought maybe i could create a mash profile for this particular beer to make use of the "brew day timer".  the recipe is below.  i will freely admit that the mash profile editing feature i like reading greek to me; so i will need some serious help.  please feel free to use elementary school wording for me ;)

M.O. Stout (Milk Oatmeal Stout)

Light Dry Malt Extract – 4.5 lbs
Black Patent – 8 oz
Chocolate Malt – 12 oz
CARAPILS – 8 oz
Lactose – 1 lb
Oats, Flaked – 1 lb
Fuggle Pellet Hops – 1.5 oz (60 min)
Windsor Yeast
Irish Moss - 1 tsp

Steep oats for 15 minutes at 115 F.
Bring temp up to 155.
Steep grains and oats for 45 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Add malt extract.
Bring to boil.
Add bittering hops with 60 minutes remaining.
Add 1 tsp Irish Moss and 1 lb lactose at with 15 min remaining.
Add aroma hops with 5 minutes remaining.

i appreciate any help that anyone could give me.  thanks.

bill

Bill,
  You are essentially doing a partial mash here, and honestly with flaked oats you don't need the extra rest at 115F.  This would be needed if you were working with raw oats (its called a cereal mash) but its not needed with flaked oats which are pre-gelatinized.

The beer will work find with a single infusion mash at 155 - that is all you need with the flaked oats.

Brad

Back