• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My first flat beer, corn sugar bottling.

Helmo Alkou

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've only been brewing for a couple of years and all-grain brewing for about six months.  And I must say that the information, tips, and tricks I've gathered off this forum have been priceless!  I'm sure this topic has been addressed many times but I'm having a hard time locating the info I need.  So...

I've bottled my first flat beer!  There's a little pssst when I pop a top but the beer is really flat!  Here's my notes from the kettle to the bottles:

American Amber Ale (10B)
American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Package date: 01-15-2014
No yeast starter this time.  My schedule changed and I brewed a day early.
~
Cooled and drained into fermenter. Air stone on while transferring. Filled to 5.5 gallons with thick trub left in kettle, good vortex! New boil pot and valve was great! I didn't make a yeast starter this time, okay shoot me!!
3/27 @ 15:00 - 76*F - pitched yeast
3/28 @ 09:00 - 74*F, no bubbles
3/28 @ 17:00 - 77*F, bubbling good
3/29 @ 08:00 - 73*F, bubbling slowed
3/30 @ 10:00 - 72*F, bubbling very light
03/31 - Racked into secondary and added Gelatin. Didn't take gravity reading.
04/11 - Racked to tertiary. Taste a little bitter with good mouth feel.
04/25 - Bottled with 2.5 cups water & 3.9 oz Corn Sugar, boil 8 minutes. Taste note: less bitter than before, smooth. I'm excited about this one. All my numbers were dead on! FG: 1.008.

So:
04 days in primary
11 days in secondary
14 days in tertiary
2.5 weeks after bottling stored at 68-72*F

I understand the only fix now is to pour the beer back into my bottling bucket and give it another shot. 
1) Should I add a little more corn sugar or is this an issue of not enough yeast and I could make bottle bombs?
2) What yeast should I add and how much?  I have Red Star Champagne and Lalvin D47 on hand from playing around with meed.
3) This was my first time racking three times in attempts to have cleaner beer out of the bottle, less sediment.  Did I remove too much yeast?
4) What would be a tip to prevent this from happening again?
5) What are my odds of this working?  Should I just suck it up and finish my flat beer?

Any tips are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

You probably didn't have a lot of yeast when you bottled.  But since you have a hiss when you open the bottles, it means that they are there.  2 weeks is a minimum to generate carbonation.  I've had some that were slow to carbonate, but whenever I've had a hiss when opening they eventually carbonate.

Patience is my suggestion.  Let them sit for about a month.  You might try moving them to a warmer place.  The top of your refrigerator is probably the warmest place (4F above ambient room temperature).  Put them there for a month, then chill a bottle and try it.

Rebottling is not really an option.  You'll only introduce oxygen and would probably end up with a cardboardy flavor.

Patience is my suggestion.

Scott is right on in my opinion.  I typically let my bottled beers sit for 3 weeks.  I got away from using corn sugar because you might not get a good mixing when bottling.  I would get bottles that were great and some that were under carb'd in the same batch.  I start using carbonation drops 1 per 12 oz or 2 per 22 oz and the beer turns out great.  Best thing I ever did was go to kegging. 

I've never used the carb drops.  I boil my bottling sugar in two cups of water just long enough to sterilize.  I then add it to my bottling bucket and rack on top of the bottling sugar.  I do stir gently, being careful not to create any oxygenation.  I've never had a problem with corn sugar or DME when using them as bottling sugar.  I have had issues with honey though.  Everytime I've boiled honey in 2 cups of water for bottling sugar, I always see to get 3 or 4 gushers out of my 54 or so bottles.  I've stopped bottling with honey for that reason.

I use liquid corn syrup with no funky stuff in it(read the labels) . Boil the stuff in some water and do exactly what scott does in the bottling bucket. I used to think 10 days was good for carbing the bottles, boy was I wrong. when I finally made more beer then I drink I found out that 30 days in the beer closest is best. Also it needs time in the fridge  ,2 days are better then 1.  the old adage" drink no wine before it's time" applies to some beer too.       

Back