• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Over active fermenatation?

CJOCONNOR

Apprentice
Reaction score
Good morning, I'm hoping to get some advice.  I brewed my 4th extract batch, an IPA.  I'm using a 6 gallon plastic fermenter with a 2 piece airlock.  I probably have 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 gallons in the fermenter.  I put it in the fermenter about 9:30 at night, in the middle of the night so much pressure built up it blew the lid off.  It's happened again 3 times this morning.  Seems like the airlock gets clogged and then the lid blows.  I pulled the airlock a few times to clean it and put it back but it is overwhelmed by the bubbles in a few minutes.

Any ideas if I did something wrong or anything I should be doing to keep this batch from going bad? Thanks!

Sounds like you have some happy yeast. Attach some sterilize tubing to the inner nipple of the air lock and loop it in to a container of StarSan. I use blow off tubes on all of my primary fermentors anymore. It maybe a slight possibility of an infection, usually it takes longer for then to develop.

when I herd 2 piece air lock and clogged I knew exactly what your going though. you can cut the bottom part of the air lock off. if I'm right you have the air lock that has a webbed inlet(it's divided into 4 sections at the base) and this design makes it  clog fast. when I have a happy yeast party going on I keep 2 airlocks handy and just keep changing then out with clean ones. the blow off tube is good but if the base of that tube is connected to your air lock witch was clogging to begin with your not changing anything. Of course a large diameter blow of assembly is the best way to go. best of luck to ya.     

I went to 8.5 gallon plastic bucket fermentors for my primaries, so that I wouldn't have to use a blow off tube anymore.  The three gallons of headspace keeps them from getting to the airlock and clogging.

The only drawback to a blow off tube is that you do lose a little bit of beer. 

Thanks, I'll try modifying the airlock.  Even with the tube the lid blew again.

Fermenting cooler will also help. I had my share of blow-outs before I started fermenting near the lower end of the advertised yeast temperature range. After a blow-out in the walk-in closet (krausen on the ceiling, on the walls, and on the clothes) my wife "suggested" I needed to NOT EVER LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN!

Cool fermentations are less vigorous and produce fewer undesirable flavors. They take a bit longer, but are worth the extra wait.

Google "swamp cooler + beer" for suggestions on how to keep your beer at the desired temperature.

IMO the big takeaway is that you either need a bigger bucket or to brew smaller batches in the future.  A few inches between the top of the batch and the lid of the bucket will allow for fermentation.  This is where BeerSmith will really help you dial things in. A 5-3/4 gallon batch in a 6 gallon bucket is a bit tight  ;D.

CJOCONNOR said:
Thanks, I'll try modifying the airlock.  Even with the tube the lid blew again.

+1 on cutting the little fins on the airlock. Should make a big difference on the blockage.

Back