• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Doubt about bottling/keg with sugar

robocop

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a doubt about carbonation on BS.

I have the option to use keg with table sugar. The quantity of sugar is less than bottling.
I think that this diference because the head space in keg is less than a lot of bottles.

But, I dont find which  is the keg that the software consider (commercial kegs or cornelius keg)? Can I change the type of the keg to commercial keg or cornelius keg?

Because if I put 45 liters or 20 liters in a commercial keg the head space will be too different. The software use these information to match the quantity of sugar?

Thanks,
Robocop.

robocop said:
Because if I put 45 liters or 20 liters in a commercial keg the head space will be too different. The software use these information to match the quantity of sugar?

You're correct that head space is going to be a factor in calculating carbonation sugar. The Carbonation tool figures in the volume for priming sugar. So, keg size doesn't matter if the keg is near full.

BeerSmith doesn't adapt to changes in headspace. It assumes a proper ratio of headspace to liquid because too much can just lead to oxidation issues.

You can trust the Carbonation tool for batches that fill you keg. The smaller fill levels will take more sugar and some experimentation. I would start with 50% more sugar than a full keg.

Personally I force carbonate my kegged beer, but everything I've read says to use a third to a half the sugar you would use to bottle. Use too much and the beer comes out foamy.

Back