• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

need more racking canes

I don't think I'll ever have that many going at once again.  They take away too much storage space from beer. Then again I just picked up 5 more gallons of Orange Blossom.

I usually have 5 going at at time.  Most of the time, 2 or 3 of them are something that involves aging.  I get the urge to brew all the time, but when I look over at my fermenting area and don't have at least 3 carboys filled, the urge to brew is nearly impossible to resist.

Currently I have three going.  One is my Ebony and Ivory Russian Imperial (aging on cocoa nibs and vanilla beans), another is a Belgian Saison that I'm going to rack onto blueberries (I'm not sure how long I'll let it sit on the blueberries).

The last one I just brewed Saturday.  It's an Oud Bruin.  I used Jamils Recipe with lemon peel and bitter orange peel for it.  I'm fermenting it with harvested Wyeast 1056.  Once that has settled down, I'll rack it onto a blend of Sour Cherries, Raisins, Cranberries, Figs, Dates and Black Currants.  I'm going with 12 ounces of each fruit.  Once I take it off of the fruits, I'll pitch Roselare Belgian Blend (Wyeast 3763) into it and let it go for many months to get some sour and tart from the bugs.  I'll eventually put some oak chips and probably bourbon (maybe Pinot Noir) in it.  I'll leave it on the oak until I like the intensity of the oak.  I'll then rack it off of the oak chips into a clean carboy and let it sit and get happy.  How long it sits and gets happy is yet to be determined.  I'm thinking it will take a year or more to get to the bottling stage.  I'll probably make a Scottish Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1728) starter on my stir plate and pitch it at high krausen about a week before I bottle just to make sure I have healthy, hardy yeast for bottle conditioning.  I'll let taste tell me when it's ready to bottle. 

As you can see, I don't have any quick turn around beers going right now.  My next brew is the collaboration porter.  After that I don't have a plan.  I just like having a lot of beer going, even if they're not quick turn around brews.  I can't help but smile when I look over at all the full carboys. 

My fermenter inventory is two 5.5 gallon glass carboys, two 7.5 gallon glass carboys, two 3 gallon better bottles and two 8.5 gallon bucket fermenters and a 1 gallon glass carboy.  The most I've ever had going at one time was five 5 gallon batches.  The 3 gallon better bottles are new and I haven't decided how to use them yet, but I think they'd be perfect for splitting a 5 gallon batch.

Why thanks jtoots.  It was time to rack them all, but #4 needs some work.  They all ended up either backsweetened, oaked, or add more fruit.  The sampling to decide this made it a rigorous day to say the least.

Back