• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

honey malt

sselden

New Forum Member
Reaction score
This may not be a new topic, I've heard said from a master brewer that honey malt is "strong".  I've seen it listed in several recipes for cream ale so I put a lb of it in my latest 10 gallon all grain batch.  Hard for me to imagine that less than 1/20th of the grain bill would dominate much but would like to hear from brewers about what they think that much honey malt in the batch would result.  Thanks in advance.

I generally limit the money malt (and I do like to use it), to no more than 5%-7%  in less malt forward recipes and 10% in recipes with strongly flavored malts.  Early recipes that I used the honey malt in quantity (~12%) kind of had a lingering sweetness throughout that I did not like, even with a moderate balancing bitterness (IBU ~44).  I would not call the flavor strongly 'honey' but it does tend to give an aroma reminiscent of honey mixed into hot tea (Kind of the only way I can think of to describe it right now).

I have found that it combines very well with chocolate and pale chocolate malts (independently used), but not roasted barley.

JME:YMMV

I think I'm in a good position then, I'm ok with a pretty strong malt flavor in this cream ale.  I also put an equal amt. of flaked maize and if I've read correctly it helps decrease the maltiness.  Thanks for the reply, always looking for a better angle of brewing...

Back