• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brewing now nelson sauvin rye saison

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Nice night for a brew. 5.5gallons
12 lb Belgian pils
2lb rye
1/4lb cararye
2/3lb cane sugar @ knockout

Belle saison yeast

90min boil
.75oz magnum @60,
2oz nelson Sauvin knockout steep
2oz nelson dry hop

Est stats:
1.073 OG
29ibu
8 Srm
1.008 fg

Attachments

• IMAG0200.jpg
    IMAG0200.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 539
I was glad to read that your starter took off.  I'm glad you didn't have to pitch the dry yeast packet.

Brew went pretty smooth, pitched the yeast this afternoon. Looking forward to this one.

Pitched around 62*, its now up to about 70*. Nice being about to ferment without worrying about temp.

Attachments

• IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 554
Brewmex41 said:
Pitched around 62*, its now up to about 70*. Nice being about to ferment without worrying about temp.

The temp does make a difference.  I think at higher temps you'll get some banana and at lower temps you'll get some clovy, coriander and spice peppery flavors.

I kept my last one down at about 64F and then let it rise to about 72F and held it there for about three days.  The thing about this yeast is it works really, really slow.

The saison I'm fermenting now is the same harvested yeast that you're using.  I let it ferment at about 67F and now it's holding at about 69F.  Since I'm racking it onto strawberries, it won't hurt to have any of the above flavors.

Your beer would probably be better at lower fementation temps in my opinion.  The banana and rye might not be the best combination.  However, the rye with spiciness would be very nice.

Good point. Ill put it in a water bath and let it stay a little cooler. I am pretty excited about this one. Ive been sampling saisons lately and I think the rye will do something special.

I stopped at Baders this morning and talked to Scott about it.  He said that you might get some banana from the saison yeast, but it depends on the particular strain.  He didn't have any direct experience with this particular Saison yeast though.  He seemed to think that a little cooler fermentation temperature would do better with the Rye as I suggested.

Did he know who you were talking about? When i put it in the water bath it was about 72*. So whatever it is when i get home, ill leave it there for a few days then take it out and leave it at room temp and dry hop until i have room to cold crash.

When I said Domingo, he knew exactly who I was talking about.  You're an easy person to remember.

Well its chugging away at 70* so ill leave it there.
This yeast and recipe might be good for experimenting with. I think I'll brew a smaller batch in the future and try different ferm temps. Low end of the yeast range, middle range and one where I let it run wild and get as hot as ambient temps.  87* is what lallemand says is the yeast's high end tolerance.

Added 2 oz nelson Sauvin and took a gravity today. Down from 1.072 to 1.006
Brewer's Friends puts it at 8.66% or 9% based off the alternate method.
Sample tasted great, even Swmbo loved it.

Attachments

• IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    894.3 KB · Views: 502
I'm going to do a rye saison pretty soon, and planned to use the Belle Saison dry yeast. What's your impression of that yeast at this stage? I only have one packet of it, and I see the recommendation is to use two, which sort of negates the cost savings of dry yeast, but I'd read several reviews on other forums/vendor sites that said one was sufficient. How many did you use?

I'm curious to know how the temperature affected the flavor profile, too. I'm not really looking for banana, but more of the spiciness. A lot of the usage of other saison yeasts suggest insanely high temps to bring out the spice.

Also, would be interested to know your mash schedule; my recipe isn't too far from yours. I'm using Avangard pilsner, which will be my first time using it.

Thanks!

I've heard under pitching Belgian yeasts can be ok. Stresses them out a little and gives more of the yeast profile. I mashed at about 147, dropped a couple degrees maybe 145 after about 75 min. Kept ferm temps around 70-72, and if I brew again I will try different temps to see what I get. From the taste, I think I could up the rye significantly next time, but I really like rye, a lot. I'll update when its kegged and carb'd up. Probably a week on the dry hops and a week in the fridge. And ill probably use gelatin, too.

Great, thanks. I'm (actually, we, two of us teaming up) doing a 10 gallon batch. We're using 15# pilsen, 4# flaked rye, and 2# rye malt--the rye should definitely be featured prominently. Hopping at a fairly low rate (a few IBUs lower than your calculated) with French hops, and no dry hopping. I'm hoping for big, bold saison character from the yeast, and want it to jive with the rye spiciness. I don't think I'll clarify it--I like the grunge in saison :)

Shouldn't be a problem mashing or fermenting at those temps--I appreciate the info.

(Actually, this is going to be a split batch, with half of it getting grilled asparagus in secondary :D)

Grilled asparagus? What? Lol

Decided to keg this batch while the wife was out. I crank and shake because I can. The first pint i poured is pretty cloudy, since I just shook the crap out of it, but I'll let it sit in the fridge a while before I really start drinking it.
It's got a nice aroma on it. Love me some nelson Sauvin. I shudder at the thought of brewing without. But I think maybe I should have fermented lower and I want more rye. I think I'll try adding some flaked rye next time.

Ill update again once its conditioned enough to share my results.

Attachments

• IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 387
This beer isnt even ready to drink yet, and both Scott and my buddy Dallas couldn't keep their hands off this one! Going to tweak and brew this one again for sure. I'll add some flaked rye and also mess with the fermentation temp. I'll try a lower temp, like 62 +/- and ill try a batch where i don't control the temp and let it ferment at ambient temps to see what i like best for this yeast/recipe

I am attempting something similar next weekend.  My rye malt % is lower than your original recipe.  Why do you want to use flaked next time?

To see if it adds even more rye flavor. This brew is already like 8.7% abv so I don't think I need more malted grains. Also CM posted his recipe and said he's adding both flaked and malt rye. I wanna see if he's on to something lol

Thanks, looks like you were in the vicinity of 20% rye malt.  Just wanted to see if you mentioned lauter difficulties at that %.

Back