• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer drought (not beer draught)

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm in Balikpapan and Sangata, Indonesia this week on business.  It' tough to find good beer here.  They are few and far between.  A lot of skunky pilsners, etc.  Lots of green bottled stuff.

Can you get to Brewerkz?  A buddy tells me the beer is decent there.  At least better than the swill you seems to be choking down.

Scott, my condolences.. :)
What some countries pass as beer is very curious.
Please....get that business done and get your ass home for a decent homebrew!!!!!

I wish I could get to Brewerkz.  Unfortunately, I'm spending the majority of my time in Indonesia.  Brewerkz is a Singaporan company, so much easier to get in Singapore.  I have only about 20 hours in Singapore on my way home. 

My choices last night were slim with only Heineken, Guiness Extra Stout and Bin Tang (American Style Pale Lager).  Bin Tang is comparable to Heineken without the skunkiness.  Bin Tang is a subsidiary of Heineken, so that is why they are comparable.  Bin Tang is actually ok for what it is.  I had two Bin Tangs and a Guiness.

We're going to lunch with a customer today, and they promised to take me to a restaurant that has about 30 different beers on tap.  I'm keeping an open mind.

An update.  I was able to try a dry stout called Panther.  Very unlike guinness.  Dry, yet refreshing.  Very clean.  Not a world class beer by any means, but much more drinkable than what I had been getting.  It's made by Bali Hai brewing.

I was taken to bars that specialize in large beer lists.  A large beer list here is 12 beers long.  Most of the same stuff.  I had a Bali Hai premium lager.  It was undrinkable swill.  I couldn't get past the first swallow of it.  Very skunky.  It looked like it was frozen as it poured, but it wasn't.  But once it was in the glass it was crystal clear.  It was basically a bad version of Heineken.  Everybody here thinks Heineken is world class beer.  I don't agree.  But that is just me maybe.  I refuse to ever order a Heineken.

Although, these plaques were on the wall in the mens room.

Attachments

• 107.JPG
    107.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 108.JPG
    108.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 14
I'm sitting here in my motorhome up in Alexandria, MN reading this.
I could drain my grey tank into a BK and brew some hinies... :p

Although, these plaques were on the wall in the mens room.

Sounds like they have the idea but not the product.  Good luck weathering the storm. Get back to the USSA.

Scott Ickes said:
I wish I could get to Brewerkz.  Unfortunately, I'm spending the majority of my time in Indonesia.

Duh!  Sorry.  I knew Indonesia but skipped right to Singapore. 

Back