• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Counterflow wortchiller

counterflow wortchiller?

• Option 1 lol

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Option 2 lol

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

madchef77

Brewer
Reaction score
I made a new set up with a counterflow wortchiller. Pretty excited about it. The first time I used it, it worked great expect for the fact that one too many hops where going through the copper tubing it got clogged. Does someone know a way to prevent the clogging?

Stainless screens, Stainless scrubies. I use a hop taco, witch is a 12" stainless sheet folded in half diagonally. Sewed down the sides with stainless wire and clamped to the drain of my boiling kettle. It's a little bit of work sewing it, because of the small mesh of the screen (40 X40 per inch) But well worth keeping hops and break material in the kettle. 

Planning on using my new plate chiller and pump on my next brew and I have been working on that problem for a while - wanted to come up with a solution BEFORE I experienced the problem. A filter of some sort seemed to be the prevailing solution; I chose a hop-spider.

On my last brew (AIPA) I started using the filter I purchased from http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php), and upon draining the kettle into my fermentor, I noticed I got just about every bit or wort leaving only about a 1/4 inch in the kettle. I used to leave 2 or 3 quarts of sludge on big hoppy brews. I use pellet hops.

So if this filter kept all that pellet sludge out of the kettle, it will not be passing through my chiller so, hopefully, no clogs! We'll see this coming weekend...

Back