• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry hoping

girardbc

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there,

Im new to AG brewing, i only have 4batches under my belt, everything is going good so far,  hitting my numbers no problem.

I brewed a light summer ale 2weeks ago now few days ago after my fermentation was done or almost (1.011) i transferred it to sec. and added 1oz. of citra. NOW to my surprise it is bubbling again ?!?!?!?!? what is going on ?Should i throw it down the drain  :-\ or wait it out and bottle it in a week or so to find out i screwed up ??? Im sure very confused at this point !!!!

it happens sometimes, most will say its the co2 coming out of solution. even if it is the yeast kicking in again don't worry. just dry hop and bottle after you have the same gravity readings over a time of 3 days. 

Not sure if it's CO2 coming out of solution due to all the new nucleation points, or if there's a little fermentation still happening and the bubbles are sticking to the hops, or maybe there's something in the hops that the yeast can eat, but what you see it perfectly normal.

When I dry hop I expect it to foam up a bit in the neck of the carboy, and for the hops to float for a while. One time I added like three ounces to a carboy with not much head room, and the expanding hops tried to push out the stopper. Had to do some quick siphoning to save the day.

Eventually they'll sink, but it can take a while. Weeks.

Maine Homebrewer said:
Eventually they'll sink, but it can take a while. Weeks.

haerbob recently suggested not to dry hop for more than 14 days here:
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,11134.msg45493.html#msg45493

Mainer, any thoughts if we hit the two week mark - bottle/keg regardless of activity?

Thanks guys,
Activity is still happening in my carboy but it is slowing down a bit, I sure feel a lot better about it looking forward to taste that one (IPA)

Back