• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Saison beer priming sugar

Damrite

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm just about to bottle a saison beer that I biab .
I'm try to find out how much dextrose should I add as priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. I use an online calculator and it says 6 oz,  that seems a lot to me.

Depends a bit on your storage temp.  6 is about right for 3-3.5 volumes

Temperature average 65f to 70 don't know how to determine the volume, perhaps you can be kind enough to educate me on the one. ;-)
Cheers

To determine your target volume you really just have to google around, there's a range of opinions on some styles.  I just happened to listen to Jamils Saison episode yesterday and he recommends 3-3.5, though most others are saying a little less than 3.  Once you start kegging the advantage is you can just ramp it up til it tastes good to you, which is really all that matters and you wont even look at charts or calculators again.

And your own preference for highly carb'd beer too.  What may fit the style may not be your taste.  I just saw recently that typical brown bottles are rated for 3# pressure.

I should have mentioned to watch your bottle pressure if you decide to go high.  Its been a while.  If you look around some bottle let you go higher, swingtop or grolsch, champagne bottles, PET plastic bottles.  Never tried plastic, likely wont.

Thank guys, I did the calculation using yeastcalc.com and it give me 6 oz of dextrose for bottles I tough it was high, and that is what I did hope I'm not going to beer bomb. ; (

Back