• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Double IPA has very sweet taste after bottling

dlacey25

New Forum Member
Reaction score
My ipa has a very sweet taste after bottling. Beer tasted fine before bottling. It's been about 2+ weeks and the bottles are carbonated well. Should I still just sit back and allow more time? The bottles are currently sitting at about 74 -75 degrees. I brewed a double IPA kit from Brewers Best and everything went well. Fermented at around 68-70 and OG =1.078, FG =1.014. Could my water be the culprit? I'm new at this and just trying to figure things out. The beer is drinkable and still has a strong hop but the sweet taste I just can't get over. Here's a pic (not the best) just to show carbonation. Appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• 20140612_184407.jpeg
    20140612_184407.jpeg
    881.8 KB · Views: 11
Doesn't look sweet ;D

Sometimes, the residual sugar and alcohol make a sweet tasting beer especially of there is not enough hop bitterness to balance the sweet malt flavor.

It is possible that the beer is fine and you are just not use to the full body beers that home brewers are capable of making. I know that these days there are so many craft brews out there that you are likely a beer nerd like the rest of us but, there are things that happen at home that don't happen in pubs and big breweries. That is why I brew. Can't buy what you can make.

Did the beer darken in color as it got sweeter?

I still find the beer a little sweet but letting it sit for about a month has definitely smoothed out the flavors. Your right Freak, I've had a lot a good beers and I feel I may be my worst critic about my beers. Appreciate the feedback. So far everyone has enjoyed this beer so I'm happy!

Beer getting better? I bet it is. I have always told the people that taste homebrew for the first time that it is an acquired taste. Those are the MF'ers that won't leave me alone now. They can't get enough of it. It becomes liquid heroine. After 23 years of brewing I have come to realize that I have way more friends than I ever did.

And the one that makes you cry....cause the last bottle of a batch is a sad and wonderful time ;-)

Whenever I do a double anything. I usually find that the taste is right where I want it after around 6 months. Remember doubles are naturally sweeter but the little critters swimming in there are still eating in the bottle (little gluttons) providing you used a high alcohol tolerance yeast such as Scottish or Belgium type yeast. If not, you will have lower alcohol and sweeter taste, as the yeast dies off with alcohol poisoning.

Back