• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keg conditioning / carbonation

CJOCONNOR

Apprentice
Reaction score
Looking for some advice about conditioning in carny kegs.  Typically I force carbonate cold in a kegerator right after secondary fermentation.

I'm making more batches now and want to store/condition in a keg at +/- 65 degrees (no lagers, all ale's).  Should I fill the keg and just let it sit for a few weeks, or should I fill the keg and force carbonate, then let it sit? 

Your beer won't know or care whether it's in a carboy, bucket, or keg. The advantage of a keg is that you can purge the headspace with CO2 to avoid oxidation. You'll need a bit of pressure to maintain a seal. I doubt the carbonation has any effect on the aging process, but others may have some insights on that. If you think the beer needs additional time at a particular temperature the keg is as good a place as any for the secondary. When you consider the secondary to be complete it's easy to transfer to a clean, purged keg with a liquid disconnect to liquid disconnect jumper.

I usually hold my beer in the primary for three to four weeks or until the gravity is stable for three days (whichever is longer) then cold crash, transfer to a keg, pressurize, and chill. I guess that's a secondary until I start drinking it - usually about 2 days.

want to store/condition in a keg at +/- 65 degrees

you will want to store as cold as possible without freezing, at least refrigerator temps.

KernelC, I don't generally use a secondary. I just rack from primary to keg, pressurize, chill, and drink. I've assumed that a keg would serve adequately as a secondary at whatever temperature you cared to use, and I've used a keg for high-temp Saison secondaries a couple of times (to free up a fermenter). What am I missing here?

I was just responding to the OP who suggested storage at 65F.  Brad has an interview with Charlie Bamforth where they discuss beer freshness degradation in percentage per degree.  I forget the number but it was remarkable.  I do the same as you as far as primary straight to keg and always at fridge temps. 

Back