• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith treats liquid and dry extracts the same as gains

BAY13

Brewer
Reaction score
At the moment I am brewing with all malt extracts (dried & liquid. grain is in the pipeline).     
What I find is, that Beersmith treats liquid and dry extracts the same as gains when it comes to where they are added the brewing process. >>>Boil Time
Liquid and dry extracts should be treated the same way as hops in that, with hops you can stipulate the biol time and the brew sheet reflect this. This would mean that the brew sheet would reflect for example a boil time of 40 min. for your favorite hop and a biol time of 10-15 min. for the extracts you have chosen
I know that you can do this calculation in your head, but can you imagine what would happen if an extractor picked up a brew sheet and followed the brew steps, there go the colour guide lines for that style.
On your next update could you please add this feature to the properties section of Grains, extracts & sugars so that we can have the ability to determine the length of boil for  liquid and dry extracts.

BAY13

Bay,
  If you add liquid or dry extract to your brew it will basically impart all of its color to the mix, so I'm not sure exactly what color variation you are talking about?  It is true you can get some small amount of carmelization from a very long boil which will slightly darken the brew, but the effect on overall color is not huge unless you are boiling in a very small pot at very high temperature for a long time.

More important for a late extract addition is the change in bitterness as the brew will have lower boil gravity during the first part of the boil.  This effect is significant when calculating IBUs, and I have added a new feature to the next version of BeerSmith to allow for late extract boils including a boil time. 

Cheers!
Brad

;D
Hi Smithy,

Thanks for those new features.

With the late addition of extract how significant will the IBU's calculation be affected? I calculate hop weight & boil time with BeerSmith taking into account the SG. Will my IBU calculation be correct? If not will these new features that you are planing address this problem?

que aprovechi!

Paul

Paul,
  Under normal conditions, the IBU calculation is the same.  If you add a late extract addition, the calculation will be adjusted to take into account the higher SG for the later part of the boil.

Cheers!
Brad

Back