• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ingredients

BigBry68

Master Brewer
Reaction score
So I have been brewing mostly from kits up to this point but have been very excited about the possibilities with all the recipes listed here.

My question is:

Where do you find all the ingredients?  I have found them online but am not at a point where I want to buy more than I am using.  Is there locations that will fill an order specific to a recipe?

There is a pretty good brew supply place about an hour from me, but I hesitate to do the trek and then come up short.

I appreciate any helpful feedback. ;D

(legs on a horse?  Is this a trick question?) :eek:

You'll probably have to round up, but grain is cheap and it keeps for a long time if you buy it uncrushed. 
Northernbrewer.com
Beer-wine.com

if you want to crush your own grains:
there are certainly better and more expensive options out there, but this is what i have:
http://monsterbrew.com/Prod_CoronaGrainMill.cfm?gclid=CjgKEAjwwuqcBRCSuoivmIPnkwQSJACpqj3kijsmbcjInTzFB0FI488PmwcjvDh90H0wM3G3g9bXvfD_BwE
i found mine for 30 bucks.

Since you have no brew store within a reasonable distance, I also recommend buying bulk but don't have the store crush. Do that on brew day.
Below is what I have. I removed the handle and use a drill. Much easier.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/barley-crusher-maltmill-w-7-lb-hopper.html

My brew store is not an hour away, but far enough to be a pain when I am short an ingredient.  I batch up several recipes that I plan to do in the next few sessions and then use the "Shopping List" feature to get what I need.

I do buy bulk base grains and I do have a Barley Crusher hooked to my drill.  Shopping is usually for the specialty and caramel malts and some hops.  Oh, and I buy hops in bulk too and keep them in the freezer.  And I harvest yeast and keep them in the fridge.  Sounds like I'm starting a brew supply store....

I think you can see how this evolves.

Some mail order brewing suppliers carry all grain "kits". Recipes are formulated, fresh ingredients and yeast picked and packed specific to each kit. I got 2 cream ale kits, on special , with 75 degree f ale yeast, for 16 bucks each plus 17 bucks shipping.  I grind my own 2 row but there is an option for having it done for a few bucks, and an icepak yeast shipping option. Ontariobeerkegs.com, Ontario Canada. I was buying sacks of grain and pounds of hops in bulk special pricing before, but these kits are easy to brew up. Also have LME - liquid extract kits with grain steeping, and DME extract kits.  There must be similar suppliers in the USA, not sure if OBK ships across border.

I found that a local health food store has an alcove full of homebrewing supplies that are much cheaper than the local homebrewing store. They profit enough off the rest of the store that they don't have to depend on homebrewing stuff.  And they're a lot closer (20 min vs 45 min). I've been going there ever since (sorry Ed). They are also willing to add things to their order for me that are in their catalog, but not kept in stock. Like 55 pound sacks of grain or one pound packages of hops. They charge me a bit more than they pay so they can make a profit, but they pay for the shipping. And it works out in my favor. Though I am at the mercy of their ordering schedule. It may take three or four weeks to get something if I call them right after they received a pallet.

If you have any health food stores around, check them out. They may carry homebrewing stuff. And if they don't they may be willing to tap into a new market.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/OBK_Cream_Ale_All_Grain_Homebrew_Recipe_Kit_p/grainkit-cream-ale.htm

Here is the link for ontario beer kegs kit,  cream ale.

P.S.  If you go here, one can dream.... 
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Ss_BrewTech_17_Gal_Half_Barrel_Chronical_Fermenter_p/ssbrewtech-17gal-chronical.htm

I buy my base grains (2-row, Pilsner mainly) in bulk.  Store those in plastic bins.  When vennia & munich malts are on sale I will buy those in 10 to 20 pound lots.  The other specialty malts I buy as needed.  If I had to pick one grain to keep on hand I would go with the 2-row. 

Back