• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewers Association Style Guide

Dennys Brew

Apprentice
Reaction score
Can you add this style guide to an update?

I prefer their guide my self.

http://www.beertown.org/education/pdf/BA_Beer_Style_2007.pdf

Certainly a possibility,

Perhaps we can get a few of the avid fans out there to help!

Brad

Any takers on this??

BeerSmith lets you set up multiple style guides (see the Brewing Tab in options dialog).

I can help anyone willing to take on the project, or even part of the project!!

Also - we are in need of someone willing to take on the Australian beer style guide.

Brad

Brad, I would be happy to do this for the Australian Amateur Brewers Association style guidelines if you want, however the styles are listed numericaly and not alphabeticaly as Beersmith allows. ie 4.1 as opposed to 4.a. Is there any way for the style field to accept numbers as well as letters?

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,
  Yes, I added support for the numbers in version 1.4 - the numbers are in the style drop down now - so as long as you have the new version you should be good.  Thanks very much for taking this on!

Also you need to use the same text in the "Style Guide" field for all of the styles in your guide -- I recommend "AABA" followed by the year the guide was published in case they come up with a new version later.  (assuming AABA is the correct acronym)

I would be happy to offer a free copy or two of BeerSmith to anyone that wants to take on entering either guide.

Cheers !
Brad

BeerSmith said:
Any takers on this??

BeerSmith lets you set up multiple style guides (see the Brewing Tab in options dialog).

I can help anyone willing to take on the project, or even part of the project!!

Also - we are in need of someone willing to take on the Australian beer style guide.

Brad

What does one have to do to make up an entire style guide for beersmith?  BA 2008 guide is now out and I'd like to see it in beersmith.  Since no one else has, I could give it a try.

Also, the BA style guide does not use a numbering system.  Should I just assign the first catagory listed as "1" and each subsequent syle in that cat as "a", "b", etc.?

Denny,
  To enter a new style guide:
    - First go to the Options Dialog (Tools menu), and switch to the "Brewing" page
    - For the "Beer Style Guide to Display" option - set it to "ALL"

This will display all of the style guides and allow you to enter the new one.

Next, go to the "Beer Styles" database and start entering in your style guide by entering new items.  As you enter each item, be sure to set the "Style Guide" text to be exactly the same for each item.

If the style guide does not have a category numbering or lettering (BeerSmith does support sub-numbers such as 2.5) then choose an appropriate scheme and keep it consistent for the whole style guide.

BTW - I'm hoping to have the updated BJCP 2008 style guide available shortly thanks to Fred Bonjour.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks!
  Would you be so kind as to also post a link to the BSM file for the Danish style guide?

Thanks,
Brad

Yeah ur guide was very helpful, i have one question thou, can remove the pin with a knife. Bcos i dont understand the soldering part.

Hi,

Ain't there nobody who took the time to create an xml or bsm(x) file for the BA guideline ?

I looked at it this morning, and have some free time this week. I can take a crack at it.
Ed

I'm currently working on a php parser to automatically generate the beerxml style file from a simple text file converted from the pdf. I'll upate my post asap.
(thanks to the regex)

Job done... ouf !

So, here's the file automatically converted to BeerXML Style file from a text version of the Brewers Association Style Guide 2011.

Feel free to test and check its content and send me your feedback of course.

Note: this is a beta version... till you agree it's better than that :D

My concerns, missing Carbonation levels : profile, ingredients and exemples... in the BA pdf source file,
as well as specifications such as OG-FG, IBU, ABV, COLOR for some specific styles (or replaced with "varies from the style"... which leads to default values while importing to Beersmith.

Edit: Updated XML and added BSMX

Attachments

• BA2011-final.bsmx
    233.6 KB · Views: 403
  • BA2011-final.xml
    178 KB · Views: 400
Back