• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is my beer dead?

E

eaholljr

???

To all.  I just started my second batch of beer early monday morning. So far my cleaning process was a success. The weird problem is that when I started my first batch in my primary fermenter, the yeast were having a major party in there. A couple of days later the party was over (no activity). My beer then was transfered to a secondary fermenter (glass carboy). Now I have to gently shake it sometimes to get the little buggers up. The good news is that the beer SMELLS like beer. Here's my stats so far...please let me know if this is normal or not....thanks

4/9/07 12:43am
sg 1.066 @ 96F(beersmith adjustment)=1.071
4/11/07 6:07am
1.026 @ 70F (beersmith adjusment)=1.027

Brewing: IPA

-Andy

Just because you don't see bubbles does not mean that it is not still fermenting.

How long did you leave it in the primary?

I go for 2 weeks minimum.  But I don't use secondary any more.

Don

I left it in the primary a little over two days...I plan on leaving the beer in the 2ndary for a good while...2-3 weeks...crossing my fingers!

-Andy

Check the gravity.  You may need to pitch more yeast.  2 days is not long enough.  You may have enough yeast to finish up but keep those finger crossed.

I would have some extra yeast on hand just in case.  Just remember you should check the gravity before doing anything.  Don't go by bubbles.

Don

If you noticed in my main topic I showed my SG or OG and my 2nd G with temps...to help better understand. Thanks for your responses though!

-Andy

Back