• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Late addition/Partial Mash Brewing

J

jwhite751

I have found Late Addition /Partial Mash brewing to be the best of all worlds for me. It saves alot of time and with new extracts being added every day I have found I can brew almost anthing. Have you given any thought to adding this as an additional brewing process, specifically to address IBU and color issues.
I have found a way around this (so far it seems to work). I set up my recipe on Beersmith as a full wort boil but am only boiling hops in the partial mash liquor. This allows the recipe calculations to be more accurate as far as IBU's and color are concerned. Please let me know if there is a better way to address this.

Hi,
  I have already added the late addition option for extracts to version 1.4 which is in beta testing now.  It accounts for IBU changes due to the late addition.

I have not adjusted the color calculations because the only significant color variation comes in the case of carmelization in the bottom of the pot during a long boil.  While this is a factor I could not find accurate data for how much carmelization occurs in an average boil - and also it would vary with boil time, boil size, and how much you stir.  If you properly stir the wort during the boil you should minimize carmelization in the pot resulting in a consistent color. 

If anyone has an accurate color table or equation for the effects of carmelization I would be happy to incorporate it.

Cheers!
Brad

I've just been playing around with the Late Additions.
What I want to be able to do is add a kilo of honey at flameout. Currently I have the honey set as a Suger type and have the "Add After Boil" option checked. The problem with this is that in the brewsheet it shows it as being added after cooling. Also, it is added after the final volume is achived, so it is not making up part of the final volume.

I have been playing around with setting up the honey as an extract and using Late Additions as an alternative to the above, and have a couple of comments.

1. I don't want to boil, so I need to be able to set the "Late Addition Boil for" to 0mins, indicating it as a flameout addition.
2. I've noticed that the Late Additions have no bearing on the Prepared Water volume. If I add which is nearly a full litre of honey at the end, then I don't need quite as much water to start with to achive my final volume of wort.

Idealy, I would like to use the same Late Additions as we currently have for Extract, with Sugar fermentable types. I guess this method would be useful for candi sugars too.

Or am I really going down the wrong path?

Chad,
  No, I think your suggestions are all very valid.  I will need to look at adding an option for "flameout" additions in the future.

Also, you are correct that liquid extracts do add some volume that I really did not consider for very late additions.  This is another area I need to take a look at for the water needed calculations.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Brad

Back