• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

overcarbonated flat beer

Maine Homebrewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've got a keg of light pilsner that I overcarbonated, and now all I get is flat beer. I would think that by reducing pressure it would come out fizzy, but instead all I get is foam that settles into flat beer. Any suggestions?

How long has the beer been in the keg? 

The process of carbonation is mostly mechanical. The CO2 has to "laminate" into the beer, otherwise it all comes out at once. Great head, no fizz. The process takes 24 to 48 hours to complete.

Was the beer fully chilled when you carbonated? Warmer temperatures inhibit absorption of CO2.

Finally, make sure you have the right diameter and length of tubing for the pressure you want in the beer. Balancing a draft system can get complex, but you can follow a simple rule of thumb: The smaller the diameter of tubing, the more resistance. You want the resistance of the tubing to be just about equal to the dispense pressure of the beer. An ID of 3/16" is ideal, IMO. It is just about 3 pounds of resistance per foot.

If you want 15 PSI of carbonation (about 2.3 volumes) then you'll need an equal amount of resistance. That comes out to roughly 5 feet of line.

I know I am known for my caveman style of brewing beer but this is how I force carbonate. I take it out of the fermenter and put it in the keg. I hook up my co2 and crank it up to 50 psi. I rock it back and forth about 35-40 times only counting as it goes to one side, not both sides, if that makes sense. Then I toss it in the fridge and drink it as soon as it is cold. If I want clear beer I wait a few days. This is what I have done for about 20 years and I never have carbonation issues. My brew nerd buddies make fun of my method (at least they used to). Now they all do it this way. It works. Trust me. Watch the video.

http://freakbrothershomebrew.blogspot.com/2007/10/dont-believe-al-gore-co2-is-good-thing.html

I should add that if you happen to over carbonate all you have to do is release all of the co2 and then let it sit. It will build back up enough to push the beer out of the keg. If it is still too much, do it again. For most beers 35 rocks is about right. I don't get into the whole "volumes" thing. I highly doubt most home brewers can actually, honestly, say that those measurements (or estimates) are accurate. I also avoid leaving my co2 on all the time. I leave it set at 50 psi (but turned off) and when it starts to run a bit slow I give it a quick shot. That way I never worry about leaks. Very simple method. Caveman as it is.

Freak said:
I don't get into the whole "volumes" thing. I highly doubt most home brewers can actually, honestly, say that those measurements (or estimates) are accurate.

Carbonation charts correlate temperature and pressure to give the CO2 volume number. There's a formula for predicting solubility of CO2 in a liquid that creates these charts. They vary a little only because the formula has a few variables, like CO2 purity and liquid viscosity. They're accurate enough for predictability.

I get confidence rom the fact they're published by very respectable sources, too.

It seems like Kegerators.com should have an interest in accuracy, right? http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

The attached chart is from a company that makes a few CO2 measurement devices. Their instruments are the standard of the brewing industry. I'm pretty confident in their numbers.

Attachments

• Zahm CO2 Chart.pdf
    192.1 KB · Views: 277
I should add that if you happen to over carbonate all you have to do is release all of the co2 and then let it sit.

I've tried that, but it's still pretty much flat. This batch isn't recoverable. Next time I won't overcarbonate.

Just watch my video and stop trying to over think carbonation. Hook up your CO2 at 50 psi. Set it on top of an empty keg and rock it back and forth 35 times. It's just that simple. Whatever you do don't leave the CO2 hooked up and turned on unless you are serving it in a brew pub. Put that freakin' thing in your fridge and hook it up. When it starts to run slow just give it a short blast of 50 psi CO2. It will work every single time. Trust me. Done it that way forever. It works.

I had a brew like this, and it was down to an infection making the beer come out fizzy, but lose head like a coke!

De-gas the beer by shaking the shit out of it and opening pressure relief valve.  Repeat as necessary.  Now, re-carb your beer.

Mark

With credit to Mr Hampton (where did he go anyway)

Remove some beer (eg a gallon or so) to increase the headspace.  This will allow more CO2 to come out of solution before the headspace pressure equalizes with the beer. 

Also, bringing it to room temperature will allow it to outgas faster.   

I shook one I had like Mark suggested too. Worked great

Back