• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory "noise" - items disappear, or change amounts

HotHead

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm running BeerSmith 2.2.12 on OSX 10.5.8, and although I have the problem described below, I must mention that I love BeerSmith!!!

Bug description: I sometimes notice an item has disappeared from the Inventory - and sometimes an amount may change - spontaneously.

This happened a couple of times with an older version too, but I have just seen it again on 2.2.12.

I can't spot a pattern to the behaviour, and I can't reproduce it at will, but I wonder if there is a clue in the latest occurrence where I suddenly had a very irregular amount of Magnum on my hands.
The thing is, I HAVE no Magnum (and haven't had any for several months, and it WAS removed from my inventory), but suddenly I appear to have 396.89g of it - an odd number, which I soon realised corresponds with the much more neat 14oz (US).
I mention this in case it has any value for the bug hunt that the errors would seem to occur in US units, even though I'm configured to Metric.

In any case, whether you can fix this or not, thanks again for making an awesome piece of software!

Morten

The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" which saves your data
  - Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith 2 installed from the main download page
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith 2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example), you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
    (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!
Cheers,
Brad Smith
BeerSmith.com

Back