• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

STC 1000 setup questions

BigBry68

Master Brewer
Reaction score
So I have ordered the STC-1000 to convert a garage refrigerator into a fermentation chamber, hopefully.  My question is, baring in mind that I am dealing with a full size frig/ freezer; am I going to lose the freezer aspect of the refrigerator or will I still be able to maintain the separate compartments?  Secondly will it lose its ability to go back to normal refrigerator temps when not fermenting but just cooling?  Would I better off to pickup another cheap refrigerator or large freezer?

Other advice for aspects I'm not thinking of?   

I have two temp controllers. A A419 Johnson controller, and a STC 1000. I use the A419 Johnson controller on the fermenting refrigerator and the STC 1000 on the chest freezer Kegger.

I bought the STC 1000 first because it was cheaper and it has been working fine. A couple of Cons - 1) It only reads out in Centigrade so you need to convert to Fahrenheit. 2) You also need to splice it into the electrics for the device you are trying to control. So in my case that means I no longer use the thermostat that was part of the original freezer. You will need some basic electrical skills to make this work and you will probably want a box to mount the STC 1000 in, I used a project box from radio shack. Picture is the STC 1000 on my kegger

The Johnson A419 is a plug in device. you plug the fridge into the A419 and then plug the A419 into the wall socket. This means there are no direct wiring changes to the fridge. This device also comes with its own thermostat but since the fermenter will be used at a higher temp than the normal fridge temp there is no need to disconnect the original equipment thermostat. Then if you want the fermenter to go back to being a fridge, you just unplug the A419 and plug the fridge into the wall socket and it will operate as normal. It reads in F so no conversion needed.  Cons - It cost more.

They have Fahrenheit models too, called Do Cooler.  There are many ways to wire these. Some do not involve modifying the wiring on your fridge/freezer. You can turn them into a wannabe plug and play Johnson or Ranco.  You can splice them inline using a extension cord cut in half.  Using a plug in of any kind I have found that if I'm fermenting below about 60F the freezer part of a fridge works, not so much above 60.

I'm not so sure a fridge freezer would be suitable. If you're measuring the temp in the fridge and the cooling kicks in, it'd cool down the freezer until the fridge turns off so it's probably not going to be accurate enough to do anything practical with, and would just be a waste of electricity imo.

I'd be getting a tall fridge and not worrying about learning centigrade... it's the right way :)

This link explains how you can control both compartments of a two-compartment fridge. If your freezer compartment is a small box above the refrigerator, this may not help you.      http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/pimp-my-system-richard-trevino

Regarding the Centigrade version of the temp controller: the metric system is so much easier to work with than our absurd inch-foot-ounce-pound-Fahrenheit system that one of these days we'll give up and start using it. Change is a bitch, but it's worth the effort. If all else fails, print out a conversion chart and tape it to the controller.

just wired up my stc 1000 to a 7 cubic foot freezer yesterday - looks like it's working like a charm!  rejoice!  better beer is on the horizon!!

Yes the bottom receptacle is a standard duplex receptacle.  It runs a fan in the freezer. I am using a computer fan from a old computer connected to an old cell phone charger.  You just snip the old plug connectors off and twist & tape the wires.  I am going to need to run 2 in each freezer I think.  The box, receptacles, controller, will set you back less than 50$ less labor.

Back