• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops bag?

depper

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all and greetings from the Buckeye state!  This is my first post as I will be boiling my first wort this Saturday.  I've been educating myself as much as possible as to the best methods for making good beer.  My awesome wife bought me a beer making kit for Father's Day and bought a Belgian Golden Ale kit as my first brew.  Reading through the instructions it says to add hops twice during the 60min boil.  So my question to you all is, should I bag my hops when I put them in the boil, and if so, what type of bagging material should I use?? 

Thanks for all your time and help!  I look forward to learning so much more about this awesome hobby!

Tim

You can use a muslin hop bag available from any home brew supply -this is what I do. They are cheap ($1.00 a piece) and disposable so I keep a bunch of them in my homebrew room.

Hey Depper, welcome aboard!  There's a similar thread that just kicked up here:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,11367.0.html

I personally just dump 'em right in, no bag, but then I use a stainless strainer after the batch has cooled and I'm dumping into my primary bucket.  Either way, you're good to go!  Have fun!!

Thanks for the advice.  I noticed the other thread just a few days ago.  I've been reading those replies as well :)  I am planning on using cheese-cloth for this batch, since that's what I have in the house.  Just trying to make my process as neat and simple as possible!  Brewing first batch ever in about an hour!  Can't wait!!!

I don't bother to bag the hops. I used to, but at some point I started adding three or four hop additions to a batch. Bags aren't free, and that adds up. Being the cheapskate that I am, I just didn't want to pay for them. So I stopped using them, and nothing bad happened.  Haven't bagged them in years. Nor do I strain. My method of aerating is to pour from the pot into a bucket, then through a funnel into the carboy. Doing long, slow pours. Well, that gives the hops an opportunity to settle to the bottom and be left behind. But other than that I don't try real hard to separate them. They just become part of the sediment. No big deal.

Back